Summing only those cells that aren't hidden

  1. #1
    JodyK
    Guest

    Summing only those cells that aren't hidden

    Is there a way to add together only those cells that aren't hidden? When
    trying to do the sum function, it seems to add in the hidden cells.

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Summing only those cells that aren't hidden

    Use the SUBTOTAL function...

    =SUBTOTAL(9,Range)

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Alan Cannon
    Guest

    Re: Summing only those cells that aren't hidden

    Use the "subtotal" function instead of sum. It has 2 parameters for input: a
    function # and the range to be considered. The function # is used to give
    count, average, sum, and other functions, and it works on all cells unless
    you add 100 to it. The function for summing is 9, but if you use 109 it will
    ignore hidden cells. Note that this function does not do well summing
    horizontally, and will not ignore hidden columns if you use it that way.
    When used on a vertical range it will ignore the hidden rows. See Excel help
    for the subtotal function for more info.

    Good luck,
    AC
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Summing only those cells that aren't hidden

    This depends on what you mean by "hidden". SUBTOTAL ignores rows that are
    hidden by filtering, but NOT rows that are hidden manually.

  5. #5
    JodyK
    Guest

    Re: Summing only those cells that aren't hidden

    Thanks for this information. I've passed it along to the person who needed
    the help.

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Summing only those cells that aren't hidden

    Myrna

    A head's up.

    A new feature in Excel 2003 is the addition of a double-duty SUBTOTAL function
    which ignores rows hidden manually.

    =SUBTOTAL(9,A1:A10) ignores rows hidden by filtering.

    =SUBTOTAL(109,A1:A10) also ignores rows hidden manually.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP