Very Frustrating - Please Help!

  1. #1

    Angry Very Frustrating - Please Help!

    Using the following formula =IF(E49>=35,"APPROVED","APPROVAL REQUIRED") I'm trying to return a Value of "APPROVAL REQUIRED" if the value of E49 falls between zero 0 and 35; instead if the value is zero, i'm getting a value of "APPROVED" . The formula works fine and returns a value of "APPROVAL REQUIRED" if the value of E49 falls between1 and 35, and changes automatically to "APPROVED" if higher than 35, but for some strange reason, an E49 value of zero (which in my maths book is less than 35) returns a value of "APPROVED" Why? I really have tried everything I can think of and am now completely knackered and frustrated - Hopefully some wizard can help me...

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Very Frustrating - Please Help!

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:06:52 -0500, picklevote
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Using the following formula =IF(E49>=35,"APPROVED","APPROVAL REQUIRED")
    >I'm trying to return a Value of "APPROVAL REQUIRED" if the value of E49
    >falls between zero 0 and 35; instead if the value is zero, i'm getting a
    >value of "APPROVED" . The formula works fine and returns a value of
    >"APPROVAL REQUIRED" if the value of E49 falls between1 and 35, and
    >changes automatically to "APPROVED" if higher than 35, but for some
    >strange reason, an E49 value of zero (which in my maths book is less
    >than 35) returns a value of "APPROVED" Why? I really have
    >tried everything I can think of and am now completely knackered and
    >frustrated - Hopefully some wizard can help me...

    I will make a guess.

    I will guess that you are not just entering a value into E49, but that the
    value in that cell is the result of some formula. It is likely that the
    formula is not really putting a value of zero into E49, but rather it is
    entering the TEXT representation of zero.

    If that were the case, you would see the results you do, since "0" is greater
    than 35 in Excelspeak.

    One common error that results in this phenomenon would be a formula like:

    =IF(A>B,"0","1")

    where the proper format, to have NUMBERS as a result, rather than TEXT, would
    be:

    =IF(A>B,0,1)

    --ron