COUNTIF or not to COUNTIF on a range in another sheet

  1. #1
    Ellie
    Guest

    COUNTIF or not to COUNTIF on a range in another sheet

    I have a report over 2 separate sheets in a workbook.

    On the first sheet I have my core data, covering approx. 8 columns,
    inclusive of date, load number (in columns B and C) and cases (in column H).
    On the second sheet I am currently manually inputting the result of data
    entered into the first sheet.

    The data in columns B, C and H are what I manually input into the second
    sheet.

    In this 2nd sheet I have column A with the date in the same format as on the
    first worksheet along with column D being the total number of loads for that
    date and column E being the total number of cases also for that date.
    Unfortunately on the first worksheet I sometimes have dates where no data is
    available and put this in as "No Issues", but having used COUNTIF against the
    date find that No Issues is being counted, as I obviously have entered the
    date into the first sheet.

    e.g. of 2nd sheet in workbook:-
    W/C 12/09 Total Loads Total Cases Failure Loads Failure Cases
    12-Sep
    13-Sep
    14-Sep
    15-Sep
    16-Sep
    TOTAL 0 0 0 0

    As a sample, I had used =COUNTIF(Sheet1!B2:I6,"=12-Sep") against the Failure
    Loads for 12-Sep, which returns the correct number, but unfortunately when
    going for 13-Sep returned 1, even though it was No Issues, so should be as a
    0.

    Is there any suggestion to amend the above COUNTIF calculation, to give me
    what I require, or something else to do this for me.

    Many thanks.

    Ellie

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie
[...]

    Hi Ellie

    Your formula looks ok except you don't need = infront 0f 12-Sep

    To help further put a sample of the data from the first sheet

    As an alternative, you could just put subtotals on your > Data > Subtotals at each change of date
    Paul

  3. #3
    Ellie
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIF or not to COUNTIF on a range in another sheet

    Hi Paul

    WEEK DATE LOAD DOCKET CUSTOMER HAULIER REASON CODE CASES COMMENTS
    Week 37 12-Sep 81022 54171503 Asda Normanton WRW 14 2560 Failed to be
    collected by Asda backhaul. To be rebooked.
    12-Sep 81023 54171505 Asda Normanton WRW 14 2080 Failed to be collected by
    Asda backhaul. To be rebooked.
    12-Sep 80986 54171508/09 Asda Washington WRW 5 2254 Sub-contractor
    collected the wrong load. To be rebooked.
    12-Sep HAL 62106 85201260/63/80 Asda Grangemouth HAL 2 3481 Booking time
    23:00hrs. Delayed en route. To be rebooked.
    12-Sep 80985 54171538/39/40/41 Asda Lutterworth WRW 12 4914 Booking time
    22:00hrs. To be rebooked.
    13-Sep NO ISSUES
    14-Sep HAL 62118 85201363/71/76 Asda Wigan HAL 6 2836 Vehicle broke down.
    Rebooked 16/09/05 @ 19:20hrs.
    14-Sep KAM 61784 85201328/29/30 Asda Lutterworth KAM 4 4741 Delays loading.
    Load running approx. 1.5hrs late.

    The above is a sample of the first sheet mentioned below. Hope this helps.

    Thanks for letting me know about the = with the date. Wasn't sure if it was
    necessary or not.

    Ellie

  4. #4
    Ellie
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIF or not to COUNTIF on a range in another sheet

    Sorry, also forgot to mention that for the 5th day on the 2nd sheet (16-Sep),
    this incorporates the Friday, Saturday and Sunday dates (16-18 Sep) from the
    1st sheet.

    Ellie

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Hi Ellie

    To get over the problem of No Issues on the 13th instead of COUNTIF use this formula instead >

    =SUM((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$9=Sheet2!A2)*(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$9<>""))

    This needs to be enterred as an array, so type in or copy/paste the formula and instead of pressing Enter press CTRL/SHIFT/ENTER all together
    This will make the formula look like this >

    {=SUM((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$9=Sheet2!A2)*(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$9<>""))}

    This is looking at the date column B and the load column C, I assume you put No issues in the comments so column C for the 13th will be blank, and counts instances of a date so long as the load column is blank

    Haven't had time to work out the weekend issue, but I'm sure someone on here will help

    Have attached a zip copy of the file I worked on. Sorry am going on holiday tomorrow, not back till 2nd October, if you haven't sorted it by then e-mail me

    [email protected]
    Attached Files Attached Files