Ranked list

  1. #1
    gmunro
    Guest

    Ranked list

    Hello,

    Based on the following example:

    Item Quantity
    A 2
    S 7
    D 3
    F 6

    I am looking for a ranking formula that will pull the data from the
    first column based on the ranking of the second column
    so that the end result will look like this
    1 S
    2 F
    3 D
    As S has the largest quantity, F 2nd largest etc

    The list I will pull this from is variable in length but in the
    hundreds.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Glen

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Ranked list

    Can't you use Data|Sort|Descending on the Quantity?

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    gmunro
    Guest

    Re: Ranked list

    I was hoping to pull a separate list, rather than running a data sort
    (as easy as that is) and am relatively new to the Rank function. I
    know I could do this with inserting a column and adding a vlookup, but
    that will complicate other macros I have going on with this document.

    With that, I am wondering if there is a formula that will do it.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Ranked list

    Enter this in C1, and copy down

    =INDEX($A$1:$A$10,MATCH(ROW(),RANK($B$1:$B$10,$B$1:$B$10),0))

    it is an array formula, so commit with Carol-Shift-Enter. Change the 10 to a
    realistic number for you

    Bob Phillips

  5. #5
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Ranked list

    news:OIJ%[email protected]...
    > it is an array formula, so commit with Carol-Shift-Enter. Change the 10 to

    Hi Bob

    Who's Carol? :-)

    --
    Ian

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Ranked list

    She's the damned spell-checker <vbg>

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Ranked list

    Perhaps
    Carol-Singer-Enter as the Yuletide will be upon us soon?

    news:O%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Ranked list

    What's a spill-chucker?

    --
    Ian
    news:O%[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Ranked list

    It's wat so me of us cannot liev without because we have got fat fimgers.

  10. #10
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Ranked list