Using MATCH() for an exclusive find?

  1. #1

    Using MATCH() for an exclusive find?

    Gang -

    Not the end of the world (and I made a work around with a T/F helper
    column) but I was wondering if there is a way to use MATCH() to find an
    opposite condition. For example, I have a column of attributes. 98% of
    them are "Large", 2% of them are almost anything else, and not
    consistent. I was looking for a syntax sort of like:

    =MATCH(NOT("Large"),A:A,0)

    That's the idea, anyway, but that doesn't work ;-)

    Just curious. Thanks.

    ....best, Hash

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Using MATCH() for an exclusive find?

    <[email protected]> wrote...
    >opposite condition. For example, I have a column of attributes.
    >98% of them are "Large", 2% of them are almost anything else, and
    >not consistent. I was looking for a syntax sort of like:
    >
    >=MATCH(NOT("Large"),A:A,0)
    >
    >That's the idea, anyway, but that doesn't work ;-)

    It requires an array formula, so it can't operate on entire columns.

    =MATCH(FALSE,A1:A65535="Large",0)

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Using MATCH() for an exclusive find?

    Hi!

    Array entered:

    =MATCH(TRUE,A1:A10<>"Large",0)

    That will return the position of the first value that is not "Large".

    Biff

  4. #4
    Bruno Campanini
    Guest

    Re: Using MATCH() for an exclusive find?

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:zuJWe.24281$8q.853@lakeread01...
    > Gang -
    >
    > Not the end of the world (and I made a work around with a T/F helper
    > column) but I was wondering if there is a way to use MATCH() to find an
    > opposite condition. For example, I have a column of attributes. 98% of
    > them are "Large", 2% of them are almost anything else, and not
    > consistent. I was looking for a syntax sort of like:
    >
    > =MATCH(NOT("Large"),A:A,0)
    >
    > That's the idea, anyway, but that doesn't work ;-)
    >
    > Just curious. Thanks.
    >
    > ...best, Hash

    If your data range is $A$121:$A$126 this show the relative
    position of your NOT("Large") occurences:

    {=IF(ROW(A1)>COUNTIF($A$121:$A$126,"<>Large"),"",
    SMALL(IF($A$121:$A$126<>"Large",ROW(INDIRECT
    ("1:"&ROWS($A$121:$A$126))),""),ROW(A1)))}

    Ciao
    Bruno

  5. #5

    Re: Using MATCH() for an exclusive find?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Harlan Grove" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > <[email protected]> wrote...
    > >opposite condition. For example, I have a column of attributes.
    > >98% of them are "Large", 2% of them are almost anything else, and
    > >not consistent. I was looking for a syntax sort of like:
    > >
    > >=MATCH(NOT("Large"),A:A,0)
    > >
    > >That's the idea, anyway, but that doesn't work ;-)

    > It requires an array formula, so it can't operate on entire columns.
    >
    > =MATCH(FALSE,A1:A65535="Large",0)

    Harlan -

    Thanks. That's sort of what I did with the helper column, but it saves
    me a step.

    ....best, Hash

  6. #6

    Re: Using MATCH() for an exclusive find?

    Bif -

    The logical companion to Harlan's. Thanks.

    ....best, Hash

  7. #7

    "Bruno Campanini" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:zuJWe.24281$8q.853@lakeread01...
    > > Gang -
    > >
    > > Not the end of the world (and I made a work around with a T/F helper
    > > column) but I was wondering if there is a way to use MATCH() to find an
    > > opposite condition. For example, I have a column of attributes. 98% of
    > > them are "Large", 2% of them are almost anything else, and not
    > > consistent. I was looking for a syntax sort of like:
    > >
    > > =MATCH(NOT("Large"),A:A,0)
    > >
    > > That's the idea, anyway, but that doesn't work ;-)
    > >
    > > Just curious. Thanks.
    > >
    > > ...best, Hash

    > If your data range is $A$121:$A$126 this show the relative
    > position of your NOT("Large") occurences:
    >
    > {=IF(ROW(A1)>COUNTIF($A$121:$A$126,"<>Large"),"",
    > SMALL(IF($A$121:$A$126<>"Large",ROW(INDIRECT
    > ("1:"&ROWS($A$121:$A$126))),""),ROW(A1)))}
    >
    > Ciao
    > Bruno

    Bruno -

    Yet another way - thanks.