Locking cells in Microsoft Excel

  1. #1
    Curtis
    Guest

    Locking cells in Microsoft Excel

    I am not an expert at excel, but I want to lock certain cells, once the value
    of a different cell that makes reference in a formula to these cells reaches
    0. Can this be done and can someone tell me how.

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Locking cells in Microsoft Excel

    Right click on the sheet tab and select View Code, then paste the routine
    below into the VBA window (where the falshing cursor is).

    Change the sheet names and cell references to suit your requirements.

    Worksheets("Sheet1").Unprotect
    If Range("A1") = 0 Then
    Range("B1").Locked = True
    Range("C2:C3").Locked = True
    Else
    Range("B1").Locked = False
    Range("C2:C3").Locked = False
    End If
    Worksheets("Sheet1").Protect

    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Curtis
    Guest

    Re: Locking cells in Microsoft Excel

    I can't get the formula you sent me to work. What I want to do is lock cells
    H9 to GV9 once the value of cell G9 becomes 0 so that a user of this
    worksheet cannot oversell a product. A number an be entered into the cells
    H9 to GV9 to tell the spreadsheet user how many of each product a client
    needs. The cell G9 refers to the number of product left in inventory. As
    the user enters #'s into any of these cells, the number of inventory
    remaining decreases until it get to zero, but right now you can sell infinite
    product because the value of G9 can go into negative numbers. When I use the
    formula that you gave me, it always comes back with errors. The name of the
    worksheet according to the view code is Sheet 1(Inventory). What am I doing
    wrong. Can I also make it so that I cannot enter a value in any of the cells
    that would make G9 lower than 0 and show a message when a user tries to do
    this, prompting them to change the # or continue anyways.