A bit of a Stumper

  1. #1
    Scotland

    Angry A bit of a Stumper

    Hi Folks,

    this is my first post here, could anyone help me out a bit, basically what i am trying to do is to use excel to calculate maximum mortgage term available to someone, for example, i want to input the persons date of birth (23/07/75) and i want it to calculate the maximum term they can have a mortgage for up to the maximum age 67. Do i make any sense here. Whether the response comes through for excel or excel vb i am willing to try anything.

    Many Thanks

    Lee Elliot

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: A bit of a Stumper

    I put 1/18/1945 in B18, and =TODAY() in C18 and =67-(YEAR(C18)-YEAR(B18)) in
    another cell and got 7.00 (with the right formatting)
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: A bit of a Stumper

    This doen't quite work. It takes no account of the time of year. If you
    change the birthdate to be later in the year that today, you should expect
    the resultant number of years to change.

    A1 =TODAY()
    A2 is birthdate
    A3 =DATE(YEAR(A2)+67,MONTH(A2),DAY(A2))
    Year calculation
    =YEAR(A3)-YEAR(A1)-IF(OR(MONTH(A3)<MONTH(A1),AND(MONTH(A3)=MONTH(A1),DAY(A3)<DAY(A1))),1,0)

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Scotland
    Thanks for that - it works lovley but i would also like to include months, erm - sorry to be a pain in the neck. if i type in (for example) 12/08/1980 it comes back with 39 years but i need to show months as well because it would actually be 39 years 11 months based on 65 year finish (41 years 11 months based on 67 year finish).

    Much appreciated - you rock Ian!!!

    Thanks

    Lee

  5. #5
    bj
    Guest

    Re: A bit of a Stumper

    try the datedif() function
    (not covered in help unless you have 2000)
    =datedif(birthdate.today(),"y") for years
    =datedif(birthdate.today(),"ym") for monthssince last bithday
    =datedif(birthdate.today(),"md") for if you are also interested in days
    You can see more info at

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

  6. #6
    Scotland

    Thumbs up Sorted!! Woohoo

    IT WORKS. Many Thanks guys for your help

    Much appreciated

    Lee