FIND - Double entry

  1. #1
    Danny
    Guest

    FIND - Double entry

    Hi,

    Column B of my workbook contains names (more than 500 rows). How do I find
    (macro or worksheet function) if a name has been entered more than once.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Sam B
    Guest

    RE: FIND - Double entry

    Danny - this was asked earlier today and the answer was to log onto
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm - this gives you the forumual for
    testing for duplicated entries
    Hope this helps
    Sam

  3. #3
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: FIND - Double entry

    Hi,

    The following are two approaches that come to my mind.

    Method 1: Let's say that the names are in B2,...B1001. Create a helper
    column (A2,...A1001) containing running numbers 1, 2,...1000. Sort the
    worksheet in ascending (or descending) order of column B. You can see the
    duplicate entries. If you want, In row 3 of another column (e.g., C3) enter
    the formula =IF(C3=C2,"x","") and fill down the column. The formula will
    create 'x' symbols for repeats, leaving out their first occurrences.

    Method 2: In C2 enter the formula,
    =IF(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$1001,B2)>1,COUNTIF($B$2:$J$1001,B2),"")
    and fill down the column. The formula will show the number of occurrences
    of an entry (and would leave out single occurrences).

    Hope this helps,
    Regards,
    B. R. Ramachandran