VLOOKUP Mystery

  1. #1

    VLOOKUP Mystery

    One of the Excel users here at UM has encountered a bizarre problem.

    He is generating a report from our accounting system which he pastes into an excel spreadsheet. He is using VLOOKUP to get data from the pasted report which is used to update MTD and YTD accounts.

    In general, it works fine except for this oddity:

    In account numbers that are structured as XXXXX-XX (where X is a numeric digit), the VLOOKUP function works fine. In some situiations where account numbers are structured without a suffix XXXXXX VLOOKUP will not return information UNLESS the users goes to the target sheet and simply clicks in the cell that should be updated. At that point, the data comes across. Whats Gives?

    Thanks for the help.

    Rick

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Mystery

    simply clicks? or is it F2 then Enter

    Check to make sure that calculation is turned set on Automatic
    Tools, Calculation (tab), calculation: [x] Automatic

    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Mystery

    Hi Rick,

    I assume that XXXXX-XX is the lookup value -- that is, the user plugs in an
    account number to return via VLOOKUP a MTD or YTD figure. If that
    assumption's wrong, please correct me.

    What is the VLOOKUP function returning before the user clicks in its cell?
    Nothing? An error value? (BTW, you might find the Tools | Formula Auditing |
    Evaluate Formula tool useful here, if you have a sufficiently recent version
    of Excel.) It shouldn't matter, but you might want to check how he has the
    Calculate option set. Manual? Automatic?

    Hard to tell yet what's going on, but:

    XXXXX-XX

    is a text value, and

    XXXXX

    given that X = numeric digit is a number. Again, though, this shouldn't make
    a difference.

    In the XXXXX-XX case, is there an exact match in the lookup table? What
    range_lookup option is he using?

    --
    C^2
    Conrad Carlberg

    Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Mystery

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:27:08 -0500, RHubbard
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >One of the Excel users here at UM has encountered a bizarre problem.
    >
    >He is generating a report from our accounting system which he pastes
    >into an excel spreadsheet. He is using VLOOKUP to get data from the
    >pasted report which is used to update MTD and YTD accounts.
    >
    >In general, it works fine except for this oddity:
    >
    >In account numbers that are structured as XXXXX-XX (where X is a
    >numeric digit), the VLOOKUP function works fine. In some situiations
    >where account numbers are structured without a suffix XXXXXX VLOOKUP
    >will not return information UNLESS the users goes to the target sheet
    >and simply clicks in the cell that should be updated. At that point,
    >the data comes across. Whats Gives?
    >

    >Thanks for the help.
    >

    >Rick

    Is XXXXXX a number? If so, it may have been pasted as TEXT, where VLOOKUP is
    looking for a number (or vice versa).

    --ron