how do I count a rota with no dates and using 24 hours clock

  1. #1
    APYDS
    Guest

    how do I count a rota with no dates and using 24 hours clock

    I have posted a question on here before relating to this issue but I can not
    now find my post so you will forgive me if you are re-reading this.

    I am trying to create a rota for my staff who work 24 hours a day, 7 days a
    week. I do not want to include dates on the rota (due to the size of the
    spreadsheet I want to have).

    Cells A6:A21 contain the names of the staff. Cells B6:B21 contain the start
    times for each respective member of staff on a Monday and similarly cells
    C6:C21 contain the end times on a Monday. The rota uses the 24 hour clock
    but like I stated earlier, no dates.

    I want to be able to count the number of staff who are working between two
    selected times. The start time to be counted is selected in cell b24 and the
    end time in cell c24. I have worked out the following formula which halfway
    gives me the answer I want:

    =IF(B24>C24, SUMPRODUCT(--(B6:B21>=B24), --(C6:C21<=(C24+1))),
    SUMPRODUCT(--(B6:B21>=B24), --(C6:C21<=C24)))

    The problem occurs if staff work over-night. Say someone starts work at
    20:00 and ends work the following day at 8:00 then that person should only be
    counted if the first part of the array above is "TRUE" and not otherwise.
    The solution would be to add 1 to the end time of anyone who is working
    overnight (in accordance with http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datearith.htm)
    but how would I do that in the above formula?

  2. #2
    Art Farrell
    Guest

    Re: how do I count a rota with no dates and using 24 hours clock

    Hi,

    I may have the wrong slant on what you are trying to achieve, but I would
    change two places in your formula:

    Original: =IF(B24>C24, SUMPRODUCT(--(B6:B21>=B24), --(C6:C21<=(C24+1))),
    SUMPRODUCT(--(B6:B21>=B24), --(C6:C21<=C24)))

    Revised: =IF(B24>C24,SUMPRODUCT(--(B6:B21>=B24),--(C6:C21>=C24)),
    SUMPRODUCT(--(B6:B21>=B24),--(C6:C21>=C24)))

    In your example with 20:00 hours as the start and 8:00 hours as the finish
    of the shift if you use C24+1 that means every time value in your C range
    has 24 hours added to it and all those inputs will give a TRUE output in the
    range comparison. The reason I changed it to greater than is if a person
    started at 22:00 he's most likely to have a 12 hour shift ending at 10:00
    and he will be added to the total. With the less than operator a person
    could start at 23:00 and finish at 1:00 and be added in.

    My reasoning would be the same for B24<C24 so the operator here should be
    the same: >=C24.

    And then,maybe I misinterpreted your problem.

    CHORDially,
    Art Farrell

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    APYDS
    Guest

    Re: how do I count a rota with no dates and using 24 hours clock

    Thanks for trying Farrell but that wont solve the problem. What happens if I
    wanted to know all the day staff who worked between 14:00 and 18:00. And
    what would happen if I wanted to know how many staff worked between 20:00 and
    23:00? I appreciate that your formula is based on what you feel is a likely
    occurance in staff working pattern but unfortunately with my staff nothing is
    likely.

    I am grateful for your efforts though and if you have any more ideas please
    let me know.

    Regards

    Apyds