How do I use multiple criteria with sumif in Excel?

  1. #1
    Aaron A
    Guest

    How do I use multiple criteria with sumif in Excel?

    I have to check two columns to determine if I pull the sums from a third. So
    I need a sumif formula that accepts two criteria. For example:

    I need to get the sum of values in column C where column A=Account 1 and
    column B=Cost Center 2 (answer in this case would be 2,000):

    A B C
    Account 1 Cost Center 1 1,000
    Account 1 Cost Center 2 2,000
    Account 1 Cost Center 3 3,000
    Account 2 Cost Center 1 500
    Account 2 Cost Center 2 250
    Account 2 Cost Center 3 425

    Any ideas on how to get Excel to accept both criteria?

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: How do I use multiple criteria with sumif in Excel?

    try sumproduct()
    =sumproduct(--(rangeB="Cost Center 2),--(rangeA="Account 1"),RangeC)
    the --(changes the logiccal true false to a numeric 1 0
    the arrays in each secton must be the same size but cannot be the full
    column shorthand. (A:A wont work)

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How do I use multiple criteria with sumif in Excel?

    For some information on bj's approach see:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctio...tml#SumProduct
    --
    Gary''s Student