Create Formula for calculating Little League Age...

  1. #1
    Brent
    Guest

    Create Formula for calculating Little League Age...

    Some of you may be aware, Little League has changed the date in which
    they use to calculate the players age for the spring season beginning
    the spring of 2006. I would like to be able to enter in the birthdate
    of the player and then the formula calculate the players Little League
    age.

    Little League rulebook states that for any player in the Majors
    division who will attain the age of 9 years old before April 30 and who
    will not attain the age of 13 before April 30 of the year in question
    shall be eligible to compete in Little League Majors Division.

    This means that a child who will be 13 years old on May 1st or later is
    eligible for play in the Majors; a player who will be 13 years old on
    April 30th or earlier will not be eligible for the Majors division but
    expected to play at the next higher division.

    Another way of saying this is if you are 13 on 5/10/2005 then you will
    be considered as a player in the Majors division. If you are 13 on
    4/25/05 then you will not be eligible to play in Majors but moved up to
    Juniors.

    I am trying to create a formula that would help calculate this "league"
    age. Here is where I have gotten so far.

    A1 Birthdate LLAge
    A2 4/30/93 =IF(A2="","",DATEDIF(A2,NOW(),"y"))

    Basically the first part looks for empty cells and leaves them blank
    without having to look at an entire spreadsheet with a bunch of "0" age
    kids. The second part is where I am having difficulty. I am trying to
    use the DATEDIF function by taking the birthdate and subtracting it
    from the NOW() function and presenting the year. I guess I need some
    other sort of IF statement to figure out the before 4/30 birthday and
    the after 4/30 birthday.

    Any ideas on making this easier?

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Create Formula for calculating Little League Age...

    On 20 Sep 2005 14:54:05 -0700, "Brent" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Some of you may be aware, Little League has changed the date in which
    >they use to calculate the players age for the spring season beginning
    >the spring of 2006. I would like to be able to enter in the birthdate
    >of the player and then the formula calculate the players Little League
    >age.
    >
    >Little League rulebook states that for any player in the Majors
    >division who will attain the age of 9 years old before April 30 and who
    >will not attain the age of 13 before April 30 of the year in question
    >shall be eligible to compete in Little League Majors Division.
    >
    >This means that a child who will be 13 years old on May 1st or later is
    >eligible for play in the Majors; a player who will be 13 years old on
    >April 30th or earlier will not be eligible for the Majors division but
    >expected to play at the next higher division.
    >
    >Another way of saying this is if you are 13 on 5/10/2005 then you will
    >be considered as a player in the Majors division. If you are 13 on
    >4/25/05 then you will not be eligible to play in Majors but moved up to
    >Juniors.
    >
    >I am trying to create a formula that would help calculate this "league"
    >age. Here is where I have gotten so far.
    >
    >A1 Birthdate LLAge
    >A2 4/30/93 =IF(A2="","",DATEDIF(A2,NOW(),"y"))
    >
    >Basically the first part looks for empty cells and leaves them blank
    >without having to look at an entire spreadsheet with a bunch of "0" age
    >kids. The second part is where I am having difficulty. I am trying to
    >use the DATEDIF function by taking the birthdate and subtracting it
    >from the NOW() function and presenting the year. I guess I need some
    >other sort of IF statement to figure out the before 4/30 birthday and
    >the after 4/30 birthday.
    >
    >Any ideas on making this easier?
    >
    >thanks.

    It seems that what you need to know is the age of the person on 30 April in the
    current year. Then you can construct your various IF statements.

    The age of a person, in years, on 30 April of "this" year is given by the
    formula:

    =DATEDIF(Date_of_Birth,DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),4,30),"y")

    --ron