copying names to list depending on certain conditions

  1. #1
    macca
    Guest

    copying names to list depending on certain conditions

    I have a spreadsheet which contains people's names and numbers associated
    with those people. I would like to set it up so if the number is greater
    than 5 then excel will copy the name into a different list. I can do this
    with IF statements but i get lots of blank cells where that person does not
    fill the criteria.

    Any ideas how to solve this????

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: copying names to list depending on certain conditions

    This looks like a job for Data>Filter>Advanced Filter to me.

    You can set a conditional criteria and specify a destination location.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    macca
    Guest

    Re: copying names to list depending on certain conditions

    This seems to only work for week 1
    Week 2 I want it to compare the week 2 number column (Column C) to the names
    (column A) and then copy the name into a seperate list but it seems unable to
    skip the row inbetween.

    Is this possible?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: copying names to list depending on certain conditions

    I think some sample data, type not an attachment, would help with expected
    results as I have difficulty envisaging what you want.

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: copying names to list depending on certain conditions

    "macca" wrote
    > .. I want it to compare the week 2 number
    > column (Column C) to the names (column A)
    > and then copy the name into a seperate list
    > but it seems unable to skip the row inbetween ..

    Harzarding one guess ..

    Assume data is in row2 down,
    (Names in col A, numbers in col C as above)

    Using 2 empty cols to the right, say cols E & F

    Put in E2:
    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(F:F,ROWS($A$1:A1))),"",
    INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(F:F,ROWS($A$1:A1)),F:F,0)))

    Put in F2:
    =IF(C2="","",IF(C2>5,C2+ROW()/10^10,""))
    (Leave F1 empty)

    Select E2:F2, copy down until the last row of data in cols A & C

    Col E will return the list of names from col A
    with numbers > 5 in col C, all neatly bunched at the top ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: copying names to list depending on certain conditions

    typo ..
    > Harzarding one guess ..

    should be:

    --