Median result used in formula gives incorrect result

  1. #1
    vlatham
    Guest

    Median result used in formula gives incorrect result

    I have a cell that contains the Median of 5 cells w/percentages in them.
    Then I have a cell that adds the Median result with 100%. (Median result
    4.87%, formula result 104.87%). Then I'm trying to multiply a cell that
    contains 377,615 by the cell that contains the result 104.87%. My result
    should be 396,005, but it's not. It keeps coming up with 395,993. I've
    tried the formula every way I know how and it doesn't come up with the
    correct result. Can someone help me, please?

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Median result used in formula gives incorrect result

    Hi

    Try increasing the number of decimals on your cell containing 104.87% and I
    am sure you will see that it is actually 104.86686175072500% shown in a
    rounded display to 2 decimal places.

    Excel is using the more accurate figure when making the calculation and
    giving the correct result.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Median result used in formula gives incorrect result

    And on top of Roger's comments, you can round the result using the ROUND()
    function & thereby make it EXACTLY 104.87%

  4. #4
    vlatham
    Guest

    Re: Median result used in formula gives incorrect result

    Thank you. That makes sense. But, do you know of anyway to make sure it calcs
    on the 104.87%?

  5. #5
    vlatham
    Guest

    RE: Median result used in formula gives incorrect result

    Oh, thank you! You guys are lifesavers!