Sumif using wildcard

  1. #1

    Sumif using wildcard

    Hi,

    I am trying to use a wildcard function (*) in a sumif function, eg SUMIF(B:B,A1*,C:C) but excel converts the A1* to "A1*" rather that the content of cell A1.

    If for example the content of A1 was "smith" and i want to find the sum of all cells that contain smith in column B, the sumif works if i enter "smith*" instead of A1* but the problem i have is that i have a multitude of cells in column a where they will correspond to only part of the cell in colum b and therefore need to use a wildcard with the cell reference....

    Please can somone PLEASE help...

    cheers

  2. #2
    Biff