How to count how many cells a linked cell group occupies

  1. #1
    Kanaski79
    Guest

    How to count how many cells a linked cell group occupies

    I am looking for a way to count how many cells are in a linked group. Then
    using this as a range starting at the first cell in the liked group (but a
    different column) find the greatest number in the range of cells.

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to count how many cells a linked cell group occupies

    Hi

    By linked group do you mean a named range?

    If so
    =COUNTA(your_range)
    =MAX(your_range)

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Kanaski79
    Guest

    Re: How to count how many cells a linked cell group occupies

    No not realy. I have a record number in a group of merged cells. Should
    have used that before I said the wrong name sorry. I want to use a lookup to
    find the record number (which is a merged cell group), find out how many
    cells that takes up (it can vary in the report I'm working with), then return
    the largest number (date, but it just depends on how you format the cells).
    Complicated I know. I have been racking my brain for weeks trying to figure
    out if this is even possible.

    Thanks for your expertise.

    Kevin Kanaski

  4. #4
    Kanaski79
    Guest

    Re: How to count how many cells a linked cell group occupies

    Oh. I should say that the column that the dates are in can contain multiple
    dates. This is a repair tracking sheet so each person who touches the unit
    has to open and close the issue.

    Thanks again.

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to count how many cells a linked cell group occupies

    Hi Kevin

    I tend to avoid merged cells whenever I can.

    Values are held in the top left cell of any group of merged cells.
    If you have a column of dates, then
    =MAX(A2:A100) for example will give the latest date.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  6. #6
    Kanaski79
    Guest

    Re: How to count how many cells a linked cell group occupies

    This is true. But I need the dates for just that record. Not the whole
    column.

    Example
    Unit number stuff I don't care about Close date

    29105 some text here and some more numbers Sep 15
    more text and stuff Aug 1
    maybe even more text Aug 12
    possibly more I have seen up to 6 rows maybe no date
    (0000)
    (((((space for clarity usualy its not like this.)))))
    30231 just like before some text and numbers Sep 10
    blah de blah blah blah...............yeah... Jun 27
    So this record is only 3 rows last one was 4 Aug 4

    So this is what I'm up against. I have been doing the file manualy for a
    few months. It takes all day and I have to do it twice a week. So I'm
    hoping that someone can help with this. I have an examle file (obviosly
    can't give you the real one) with random numbers. Can we post files here?

    Thanks Roger

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to count how many cells a linked cell group occupies

    Hi Kevin

    I think you will need a VBA solution for this. You may get a response in
    this forum, otherwise, try posting it in .programming.

    No, you can't post files to this forum, or I should say, attachments are not
    welcome and won't be opened by the majority of people.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  8. #8
    Kanaski79
    Guest

    Re: How to count how many cells a linked cell group occupies

    Thanks Roger.

    We'll see what the programming guys have to say

    Kevin