index,match,match on un-sorted data

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    index,match,match on un-sorted data

    I am using =index,match,match to extract data from an array which I don't control. It worked fine whilst the entries in the left-most column were sorted (descending) but with new lines being added by other users, the formula is now returning garbage. I've tried a number of methods but nothing that doesn't involve numerous steps seems to work consistently.

    Any idea sout there?

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: index,match,match on un-sorted data

    check the third argument of the match function. i assume you want to match
    your data exactly - it should be set to 0. the match function can match data
    exactly or approximately, but it is determined by the third argument of the
    function.

    if you want to match data approximately, your list will need to be sorted.

  3. #3

    Re: index,match,match on un-sorted data

    If your data is not sorted, I would guess that you want an exact match.

    Did your =match() expressions look like:

    =match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)
    (that last 0 says exact match)

    Debra Dalgleish has lots of tips at:

  4. #4