Index and Match Help Needed

  1. #1
    carl
    Guest

    Index and Match Help Needed

    My data table is set up like so:

    Data BOX1 BOX3 BOX5
    ABC 3 1 2
    DEF 1 7
    HIJ 2 1

    I am trying to find a formula for the body of the table below that will give
    the following results. I think I need to use the INDEX and Match functions
    but not sure:

    New Table BOX1 BOX2 BOX3 BOX4 BOX5
    ABC 3 0 1 0 2
    DEF 0 0 1 0 7
    HIJ 2 0 1 0 0
    KLM 0 0 0 0 0

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Index and Match Help Needed

    if your original data is in sheet 1 starting at A1
    and your next table is in Sheet 2 Starting at A1
    try in sheet 2 B2

    =Vlookup($A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$AA$100,Match(B$1,Sheet1!$A$1:$AA$1),False)

    and copy through your area

  3. #3
    carl
    Guest

    RE: Index and Match Help Needed

    thanks. i tried the formula but it does not seem to work correctly. if there
    is a value in Row B that is not in the original data table -
    Sheet1!$A$1:$AA$1 - the formula returns a value from the previous column
    (when it should return 0).

    any thoughts ?

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Index and Match Help Needed

    duh
    I left out several significant parts of it
    the zero in the match funciton and the iserror portion

    =if(iserror(Vlookup($A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$AA$100,Match(B$1,Sheet1!$A$1:$AA$1,0),False)),0,Vlookup($A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$AA$100,Match(B$1,Sheet1!$A$1:$AA$1,0),False))