How do I identify cell color for comparison?

  1. #1
    Jackyl71
    Guest

    How do I identify cell color for comparison?

    A coworker tasked me with finding this out:
    Either by formula or by code, how can one return the color code for a cell?
    What he wants to do is be able to say something to the effect of "IF cell a2
    is GREEN, then add a2+b2, ELSE IF cell a2 is RED, then..."

    I'm sure the answer to this is in an Excel VB book somewhere, but our
    company is too cheap to buy one.

    Thanks in advance,
    Jackyl71

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I identify cell color for comparison?

    Jacky

    Chip Pearson has a site that discusses colors(summing by, counting by,
    determining index) and others.

    Check it out for methods using the CellColorIndex Function found on Chip's
    site.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Jackyl71
    Guest

    Re: How do I identify cell color for comparison?

    Thanks for the help, Gord. I think this will answer all my questions and more!

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I identify cell color for comparison?

    Thanks for the feedback Jacky.

    Chip's site has many pages of excellent info, tips and tricks.

    Check out the Topic Index while you're in there. Link found at bottom of page
    I gave you.

    Gord