data validation using vlookup

  1. #1
    cbra
    Guest

    data validation using vlookup

    I have a spreadsheet with a list of serail numbers and their cooresponding
    asset tags. I have named this range "AssetList". I have another spreadsheet,
    in the same workbook, with a list of employees. I need to enter the serial
    number, then type in the asset tag.

    Cell A2 = Sue Smith
    Cell A3= Serial Number
    Cell A4 = Asset Tag

    I need to use data validation to check the asset tag I have just entered
    against the first list to be sure it cooresponds. What formula do I use in my
    data validation when using a vlookup? Thanks

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: data validation using vlookup

    Why do you need DV, surely each serial num has just one asset tag, so just
    have the serial number entered and then VLOOKUP for the asset tag.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    RE: data validation using vlookup

    why 'type the asset tag" ?

    just place a Vlookup formula in the asset tag column and let it look it up
    for you

    HELP>Vlookup

  4. #4
    cbra
    Guest

    RE: data validation using vlookup

    This is really supposed to be a QA check on what number was assigned. (not my
    decision, but I have to live with it).

  5. #5
    cbra
    Guest

    Re: data validation using vlookup

    I am actually recording what asset tag sticker was placed on the machine. The
    list of SN and Asset tag # I have are the correct cooresponding numbers; so I
    am really checking that the asset tag sticker we used is the correct one.

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: data validation using vlookup

    Best to just list the assts in the DV and do the VLOOKUP in an adjacent
    cell.