removing digit or calc LEN fields

  1. #1
    tri_p
    Guest

    removing digit or calc LEN fields

    I have had help here stripping a digit off a field with a LEN funciton.
    Which is going from HHH:MM:SS to HH:MM:SS. With the LEN statment I insert a
    column, the new column holds the LEN statement and coverts correctly however
    now I can't sum the times in the group (I'm assuming its because all the
    columns are calculated LEN statements. How can I either add the column OR
    create a macro to remove the furtherest 0 (which would be HHH to HH)?

    thanks

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: removing digit or calc LEN fields

    If I understand you, you want to strip off any hours > 100. If that's
    the case, one way (array-entered: CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

    =SUM(MOD(G1:G10,100/24))

  3. #3
    tri_p
    Guest

    Re: removing digit or calc LEN fields

    sorry I wasn't very clear here is what I have:

    column c
    000:02:25
    000:08:40

    I can't get excel to sum that. If I run this in the d column
    =IF(LEN(C2)<=8,C2,RIGHT(C2,LEN(C2)-(LEN(C2)-8)))
    and put the results in column d I get this
    00:02:25 (notice the far left 0 is gone)
    00:08:40
    however, I can't sum this. I'm assuming becuse column D is now the results
    of the above formula.

    this works fine if I goto column C2 and hit the F2 key and remove the 0
    myself (but I have too many rows for that).

    Really all I want to do is be able to sum column C.

    Thanks for all the help (BTW, programmer I am not)!

    ScottP

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: removing digit or calc LEN fields

    Try (array-entered:CTR-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

    =SUM(--("0"&RIGHT(C1:C100,8)))