brackets { } in excel formulas

  1. #1
    Jessica
    Guest

    brackets { } in excel formulas

    I am working with an excel workbook that contains a large number of formulas.
    Some of the formulas contain an additional set of curly brackets { } around
    the entire equation. If I double click on the formula to see what cells the
    formula is drawing from and then hit enter when I am done, the cell where the
    formula is contained shows an error. What function do the additional
    brackets serve?

    Example of formula:
    ={POWER(10,(SUM(IF(CalPgms=0,0,logPM)) - SUM(IF(CalPgms=0,0,logEAF))) /
    SUM(IF(CalPgms=0,0,1)))}

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: brackets { } in excel formulas

    The curly brackets denote an array formula - one that typically works on an
    array of values rather than on a single value. You get an error because the
    formula must be committed with the Ctrl+Shift+Enter key combination.

  3. #3
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: brackets { } in excel formulas

    One other thing - don't try to enter the curly brackets yourself. Excel will
    do this when you commit w/Cntrl+Shift+Enter