Replace a number with text

  1. #1
    Candy
    Guest

    Replace a number with text

    When I enter in a #, I want it to enter in the text instead of the number.
    For example: 1=Corp; 3=BPGS; 5=Rodney. I want this to apply to an entire
    column so that I can just go down, enter in the number and the word will
    enter in.

    Pls help

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Replace a number with text

    Hi Candy

    Assuming you put a list of your numbers and names on Sheet2, in columns
    A and B e.g

    1 Corps
    2 Something else
    3 BPGS
    etc.

    Then on Sheet1 in cell B1 enter
    =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)
    changing the range to include the last row you have entered data.
    Copy this down column B then as you enter any number in column A, the
    corresponding name will appear in column B.

    Regards

    Roger Govier