pulling numbers from hhh:mm:ss

  1. #1
    tri_p
    Guest

    pulling numbers from hhh:mm:ss

    I have a column of numbers in hhh:mm:ss and need to sum them per group,
    when I try to add them its ugly the only way I've been able to do it
    correctly is pull the number out and copy them to a seperate column ie: hours
    mins secs then add them independantly then use the 24*60*60 to get them to
    come out right.

    question
    1. is there an easier way to add these without trying to pull them out (the
    format on the cells are custom and hhh:mm:ss).
    2. If I have to copy them over into seperate columns what is the best way to
    do it (automatically).

    As most of you know I'm not the code master so go easy on me please.

    Thanks for all help,

    ScottP

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: pulling numbers from hhh:mm:ss

    see if the info here helps you

    http://cpearson.com/excel/datearith.htm

  3. #3
    tri_p
    Guest

    RE: pulling numbers from hhh:mm:ss

    Thanks Duke very much. I looked back and wrote a formula to "peel" off the
    last 0 in the hhh and made it hh and excel liked that so the numbers
    calculated properly.