A general question regarding Financials Formulas in Microsoft Exce

  1. #1
    Swhouston055
    Guest

    A general question regarding Financials Formulas in Microsoft Exce

    Hi, I've been told by a professor there are financial calculator formulas in
    Excel, such as Future Value, Discount rate of return, and internal rate of
    return. What I want to know is where I can go to learn how to use these
    formulas in Excel.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: A general question regarding Financials Formulas in Microsoft Exce

    You can use the Help files.

    Also, you may want to look at Peter Noneley's dictionary (somewhat dated) on
    Ron de Bruin's site:

    http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/xlfdic01.zip

    --

    Vasant

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Swhouston055
    Guest

    Re: A general question regarding Financials Formulas in Microsoft

    The help files don't have answers for the questions I have, such as how to
    find the present value of a bond when given the par value, the years to
    maturity, the coupon interest rate and the discount rate of return.

    Also, how can I discover the payment required monthly for a $20,000 college
    education 4 years from now at 6 %, with an initial payment of $9000.00.

    These are the sort of questions I'd like to see if Excel can solve.

    The dictionary you listed was too dated.

    Thanks

    --
    A full time student

  4. #4
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: A general question regarding Financials Formulas in Microsoft

    For the 1st problem, check out the NPV and XNPV functions, or the YIELD
    function (in conjunction with Goal Seek)

    For the 2nd problem, Excel has a payment (PMT) function.

  5. #5
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: A general question regarding Financials Formulas in Microsoft

    Swhouston055 wrote...
    >The help files don't have answers for the questions I have, such as how to
    >find the present value of a bond when given the par value, the years to
    >maturity, the coupon interest rate and the discount rate of return.
    >
    >Also, how can I discover the payment required monthly for a $20,000 college
    >education 4 years from now at 6 %, with an initial payment of $9000.00.
    >
    >These are the sort of questions I'd like to see if Excel can solve.
    >
    >The dictionary you listed was too dated.

    Dated perhaps, but still current. No functions have been added to Excel
    since 1997. Besides, Excel's financial functions have been included
    with Excel since the mid 1980s, so from the time you were in diapers.
    Wouldn't that mean you'd still have found what you needed if you'd
    bothered to look.

    Here's a piece of wisdom it may take you a lifetime to learn (or not):
    the truth isn't always new.

    As for your first two paragraphs, Excel does contain functions that can
    solve both your sample problems, though the first one would require the
    Analysis ToolPak add-in. The second only requires the PMT function.
    Online help are skimpy on details, but they're sufficient for anyone
    who knows the underlying theory of interest and financial math. If you
    don't, then there are decent books available. Consider John
    Walkenbach's 'Excel 2003 Formula'.

  6. #6
    Shaz
    Guest

    Re: A general question regarding Financials Formulas in Microsoft

    I think that the excel help is quite explanatory. In any case, the
    functions you want are the PRICE function, and the PMT() function.

    1) =PMT(.06,4,20,-9000,20000,0)

    2) =PV(DSCR,MAT,COUPON,PAR,0)

    so if DISC RAte is 10%, years to Mat= 10, coupon = 6 (6%), and par =100

    then PV should give you 75.42%, which would be the price of the bond.

    If you have the exact dates, and want a price according to market
    conventions, use the price() function.

    cheers