Conditional formating-cell change color

  1. #1
    scott45
    Guest

    Conditional formating-cell change color

    Is it possible to have a cell change color if say the value of cell a1 is
    different from b1. I have read about this conditional formating but to be
    honest I can not find it under format cells. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    re: Conditional formating-cell change color

    It's on the Format menu, under Conditional Formatting..

    To use it, select cell B1, then go to Format->Conditional Formatting
    In the first box select Cell Value is
    In the second box select Not Equal to
    In the third box type =A1
    Click on the format button and choose the attriubtes you want, then OK your
    way back to the spreadhseet

  3. #3
    scott45
    Guest

    re: Conditional formating-cell change color

    Ok I see how it works but I guess I didn't explain my question. In cell say
    B1 I have a formula. Can you still use conditional formating? Say the formula
    is in b1 and it doesnot equal what is in cell a1 can I have it change colors.
    First tip was great thanks

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    re: Conditional formating-cell change color

    It's not clear from your comments - are you trying to compare the FORMULAS in
    A1 & B1, or the VALUES in A1 & B1

    The steps I gave you will check to see if the VALUE (whether a formula or a
    constant) in B1 matches the VALUE (whether a formula or a constant) in A1.

    In other words, if A1 has =20/2 and B1 has =2*5, Excel views them as equal,
    and the conditional formatting condition IS NOT met.

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    re: Conditional formating-cell change color

    Conditional formatting depends only on the value of the cell, not how it
    got there (e.g., formula or manual entry).