How do I create multiple columns from a one-column list in Excel?

  1. #1
    Melissa
    Guest

    How do I create multiple columns from a one-column list in Excel?

    I have a one-column list with similar types of row data, that I would like to
    use to create a mulit-column spreadsheet. For example, the list currently
    looks like this:

    Example A
    text
    text
    text

    Example B
    text
    text
    text

    Every row is currently in column A. What I would like to do, without having
    to copy and paste (I have several hundred rows of text) is to have the data
    look like:

    Example A Text Text Text
    Example B Text Text Text

    I have looked at functions such as concatenate and Pivot tables but they
    don't seem to do what I need to do.

    I would appreciate any help with this.

    Melissa
    Queensland, Australia

  2. #2
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: How do I create multiple columns from a one-column list in Excel?

    I am going to assume that each block consists of the "header" plus 3 rows of
    text, then a blank row (5 rows per block) and the data starts in A1.

    Put this formula in B1, and copy it to the right, through E1. Then copy B1:E1
    down until the formulas begin to return 0's (i.e. you've run out of data in
    column A).

    =INDEX($A:$A,(ROW()-1)*5+COLUMN()-1)

    Then Edit/Copy all of the formulas, and, without changing the selection,
    Edit/Paste Special and select the Values option. Once you've done that, you
    can delete the original data in column A.

    If there's no blank row, change the 5 in the formula to 4, and just copy
    across to D1.

    If the number of rows in a block is not constant, you will probably need a VBA
    macro.

  3. #3
    PY & Associates
    Guest

    RE: How do I create multiple columns from a one-column list in Excel?

    Assuming "Example A" is in cell A1
    put "a1" in B1, "a2" in C1, "a3" in D1, "a4" in E1
    likewise put "a6" in B2, "a7" in C2, "a8 in D2 "a9"in E2
    highlight B1 to E2 and drag copy down to get each row in the number
    increases by 5
    that is down column B, you get a1, a6, a11 etc

    with this new block highlighted, substitute "a" with "=a"

    if you are happy with the result, delete column A

  4. #4
    PY & Associates
    Guest

    RE: How do I create multiple columns from a one-column list in Exc

    Make sure you copy/paste special/value before deleting column A please

  5. #5
    Melissa
    Guest

    RE: How do I create multiple columns from a one-column list in Exc

    Hi PY & Associates

    Your reply has now given me a second way of sorting the data. I certainly
    appreciate your help.

    Cheers
    Melissa

  6. #6
    Melissa
    Guest

    Re: How do I create multiple columns from a one-column list in Exc

    Hi Myrna

    Thanks so much for your very prompt reply. Each block does have differing
    numbers of rows so I will need to do a VBA Macro.

    Thanks again

    Cheers
    Melissa