FIND or SEARCH Returning Erroneous #VALUE?

  1. #1
    Patrick McDonald
    Guest

    FIND or SEARCH Returning Erroneous #VALUE?

    Hello group.

    I've delved into the acrhives for this topic but haven't seen it
    specifically addressed.

    I have two columns of values ("E" is 480 rows and "J" is 2200 rows).
    Some values in E appear in J; this I've verified using <ctrl>+<f>. For
    each row in E, I am entering
    =SEARCH(E5, J$5:J$2238)
    to simply result in a 1 if there's a match and #VALUE if not. In
    another column I am using =IF(ISERROR(K5), "new", "existing") to
    determine my result so I am expecting _some_ #VALUEs.

    To create the two coumns, I had concatenated other columns. In an
    effort to eliminate any formatting concerns, I copied the columns and
    pasted special as values.

    I've entered the formula using <enter> and the array method

    Regardless of the entry method or formatting (general, text, number), I
    am getting #VALUE in every row, including rows where the value in E
    _does_ appear in J$5:J$2238.

    I imagine I am missing something extraordinarily simple; anyone know
    what it is? I know from online help when #VALUE is to result but none
    of the three cases apply to this.

    Regards,
    Patrick

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: FIND or SEARCH Returning Erroneous #VALUE?

    Would the following do?

    =IF(E5<>"",IF(COUNTIF(J$5:J$2238,E5),"Existing","New"),"")

  3. #3
    Patrick McDonald
    Guest

    Re: FIND or SEARCH Returning Erroneous #VALUE?

    Domenic,
    Yes, this works; thank you very much! I didn't know you could use
    COUNTIF with an IF statement like that but it's beginning to make more
    sense the more I look at it. Thank you again, Domenic.

    I don't know what is wrong with my original formula, though, and these
    things tend to disturb me until I understand them.

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: FIND or SEARCH Returning Erroneous #VALUE?

    Patrick McDonald wrote...
    >I have two columns of values ("E" is 480 rows and "J" is 2200 rows).
    >Some values in E appear in J; this I've verified using <ctrl>+<f>. For
    >each row in E, I am entering
    >=SEARCH(E5, J$5:J$2238)
    >to simply result in a 1 if there's a match and #VALUE if not. In
    >another column I am using =IF(ISERROR(K5), "new", "existing") to
    >determine my result so I am expecting _some_ #VALUEs.

    The formula =SEARCH(E5,J$5:J$2238) very likely doesn't do what you seem
    to believe it does. SEARCH returns the first/leftmost position of its
    1st argument in its 2nd argument, both interpretted as strings. If you
    pass it a range or array 2nd argument, it returns an array containing
    the positions of its 1st argument in each of the items in its 2nd
    argument. It looks like you want

    =MATCH(E5,J$5:J$2238,0)

    instead. You should then replace the ISERROR in your second formula
    with ISNA.

    >I've entered the formula using <enter> and the array method
    >
    >Regardless of the entry method or formatting (general, text, number), I
    >am getting #VALUE in every row, including rows where the value in E
    >_does_ appear in J$5:J$2238.

    If all of your formulas really do look like

    E#:
    =SEARCH(E#,J$5:J$2238)

    then if you're entering each & every such formula in a single cell,
    each & every such formula is returning the *same* result as if you had
    used

    E#:
    =SEARCH(E#,J$5)

    As I said above, it appears you need to use MATCH rather than SEARCH.