Return a block of text based on a single "short name" entry

  1. #1
    cindee
    Guest

    Return a block of text based on a single "short name" entry

    I would like to put a short name like "BILL" in column C and have it return a
    whole block of preentered text about Billing. I need a validated Lookup
    where I choose the "short name" and the text is returned from somewhere
    hidden on the sheet.

    I think I need to determine what shows in a cell based on the value in an
    adjacent cell. Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Cindee

  2. #2
    cindee
    Guest

    RE: Return a block of text based on a single "short name" entry

    FYI - I know I could use a series of Nested IF statements but I'd like to be
    able to add to my list fairly easily.

    Thanks in advance!!!

    ~cindee

  3. #3
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Return a block of text based on a single "short name" entry

    Check out the VLOOKUP function in Help. You can use a named range for your
    list/table, and if you insert new rows within it (rather than tacking stuff on
    at the end), the definition of the name will update automatically.

  4. #4
    cindee
    Guest

    Re: Return a block of text based on a single "short name" entry

    Thanks, Myrna! I had considered that but I'd like the value the user is
    choosing initially to come from a validated list. Can I use a validated list
    in a VLOOKUP formula?

    ~cr

  5. #5
    cindee
    Guest

    Re: Return a block of text based on a single "short name" entry

    ahhh, use the Validated List in one column and then do a VLOOKUP in the
    adjacent column! Now I've got it! Thanks, Myrna!

    ~cr

  6. #6
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Return a block of text based on a single "short name" entry

    You can certainly use Data/Validation to limit what the user can type in the
    cell. Presumably the VLOOKUP formula is in a cell other than the one used for
    data entry.