Need a Formula ASAP

  1. #1
    Korie
    Guest

    Need a Formula ASAP

    I'm working with two sheets. I have certain cell's information from sheet 1
    going to sheet 2. I was doing fine until I needed to add an insane amount
    more information to sheet 1. I can't figure out a formula that will
    calculate the information I need onto sheet 2.

    Example: Sheet 1/Column A/Row 1's information is also on Sheet 2 ( formula I
    use on sheet 2: =Sheet1!A1). If one Sheet 1, I use only Column
    A/Rows1,22,43,64,..., 35872, what formula (or a step/setting) can I use so I
    can cut/paste instead of manually adding 21 to my previous formula on sheet 2?

    If I'm confusing you, I'm sorry. I don't know that much about Excel and
    really need help. Thanks. Please either respond or e-mail me directly.

    ~Korie~

  2. #2
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Need a Formula ASAP

    Hi Korie,

    You could use something like this ...

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,(ROW(A1)-1)*21+1,1)

    This is assuming that you want to only see the data in each sequential row
    in sheet two. Put this formula in a cell, then copy down as needed. It
    will only show every 21st row, starting with row 1 of Sheet1.

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Need a Formula ASAP

    Zack Barresse wrote...
    >You could use something like this ...
    >
    >=INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,(ROW(A1)-1)*21+1,1)
    >
    >This is assuming that you want to only see the data in each sequential row
    >in sheet two. Put this formula in a cell, then copy down as needed. It
    >will only show every 21st row, starting with row 1 of Sheet1.

    This formula would need to be placed in some cell in Sheet2!1:1 in
    order for it to reference Sheet1!A1. Generally safer to use ROWS than
    ROW, so if the topmost result cell in Sheet2 were B5, the formula would
    be

    B5:
    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,ROWS(B$5:B5)*21-20,1)

  4. #4
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Need a Formula ASAP

    Interesting. I've used the two before, but not in such a fashion/context.
    I know there are many, many permutations which you can use. Such as ...

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,(ROWS(B$5:B5)-1)*21+1,1)
    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,(ROW(A1)-1)*21+1,1)
    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,ROWS(B$5:B5)*21-20,1)

    The list goes on. They should all be safe from row insertions. It's funny
    how the ROW reference will be errored out when a row is deleted though, and
    not ROWS. I'm assuming this could be chalked up to Excel and it's
    calculation and/or function nuances?

    Anyway, thanks for the note. Love to learn something every day.

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Need a Formula ASAP

    Zack Barresse wrote...
    >Interesting. I've used the two before, but not in such a fashion/context.
    >I know there are many, many permutations which you can use. Such as ...

    You're right. I confused your ROW(A1) with ROW(). Sorry.

    Not a problem for this particular formula, but there are situations in
    which ROW(...) can cause problems that ROWS(...) avoids when used in
    INDIRECT or OFFSET calls inside other function calls.

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Need a Formula ASAP

    >They should all be safe from row insertions.
    >=INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,(ROW(A1)-1)*21+1,1)

    That one isn't.

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*21+1)

    Biff

  7. #7
    Korie
    Guest

    Re: Need a Formula ASAP

    But what if on Sheet 1 the information to be transferred doesn't start till
    A4 and is be put in at Sheet 2 A3? I hate to be picky, but I'm not
    experienced in Excel. I really appreciate your help.

    ~Korie

  8. #8
    Korie
    Guest

    Re: Need a Formula ASAP

    But what if on Sheet 1 the information to be transferred doesn't start till
    A4 (and then skips to 25, then 46, 67, 88,...) and is be put in at Sheet 2 A3
    (then A4, A5, all the way down to the end)? I really appreciate everyone's
    help. I am so behind on my Excel lessons. Thanks.

    ~Korie

  9. #9
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Need a Formula ASAP

    As long as the structure hasn't changed, you don't need to change the bulk
    of the formula, just alter the row number configuration. Using Biff's
    formula ...

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*21+5)

    ... should give you every 21st row starting with row 1.