Help on creating a linked workbook.

  1. #1

    Help on creating a linked workbook.

    Hello:

    Before I drive myself nuts building this workbook, I need to find out if it's doable. I appreciate any help or suggestions offered.

    We have a spreadsheet at work that is used to track pickup/delivery charges. Initially, someone enters the estimated costs and route information on a daily basis. The spreadsheet is very large -- hundreds of rows and 40 or so columns. Throughout the month, another person copies and pastes each of these rows into another spreadsheet as the actual charges come in and notates the sheet accordingly. At the end of the month, the person who enters the actuals, prepares it for month end accruals. A new spreadsheet is then started for the new month.

    Here are my questions:

    1.) Is it possible to have 1 workbook that can be utilized by each of these employees? Perhaps there could be 2 sheets -- sheet 1 being the Master trace sheet which lists estimated costs, trip numbers and other pertinent info, and sheet 2 listing SOME of the pertinent info plus the actuals costs. I would like some of the information entered into the Master (such as the pertinent information) to automatically transfer to the second one as it is entered. I do not need ALL of the information that is entered in sheet 1 to appear in sheet 2. Only certains columns need to transfer/link. At which point the second person would track the trip# and enter the actual costs. At the end of the month, I could set up a third sheet to summarize what I need to accrue at month end by link. As it stands now, we are working with 2 sheets and the 2nd person has to copy and paste whatever the 1st person enters. This is bizare and time consuming. I have linked cells to seperate worksheets when summerizing, but nothing like this.

    2.) Also, can 1 sheet in a workbook be password protected while another is not?

    Thank you,
    Mary

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Help on creating a linked workbook.

    your second sheet can have as much or as little of the information from sheet
    1 as you wish,in fact every thing but the cost.....and you can protect one
    sheet and not the other,and once you have got this set up you can use it over
    and over again.Put a lot of thought into this before you do it,once you get
    going on these the possibilities seem to increase for a start you can have a
    cell that shows the difference between estimate and actual.......it begins
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  3. #3

    Linked workbook

    I have the exact same situation here. The objective is to key data into one workbook and have certain cells both keyed and calculated update completely different cells in another workbook. I am studying this now but don't have alot of time to devote to this gotta have it done yesterday project. Can you help get me started? How do you link 2 workbooks in the first place? I will be glad to pass on new discoveries on my end if you do the same.