Matrix Multiplication:Excel SOMETIMES

  1. #1
    Matrix Bill
    Guest

    Matrix Multiplication:Excel SOMETIMES

    I am having a problem with matrix functions in general. No matter what
    variation of sequences I use (the correct one included) I find that Excel
    SOMETIMES only returns a portion of the result, one cell, the a11 location.
    It is clear that Excel is doing the calculation properly as it is displayed
    in the fx window, when the result is an Identity matrix Excel returns a 1 in
    a11 location. I know that I have used the same sequence and procedure and
    received different results.
    I know I must be doing something wrong but cannot figure it out... help
    please.
    Bill

  2. #2
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    re: Matrix Multiplication:Excel SOMETIMES

    Hi Bill,

    You don't mention it, so I'll ask: are you beginning by selecting the full
    range of cells that the result of your matrix operation should return? For
    example, if the operation should return a 4 X 6 matrix, you need to begin by
    selecting a 4 X 6 range of cells, and _then_ array-enter the function.

    --
    C^2
    Conrad Carlberg

    Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

    news:[email protected]...