Formatting minutes and seconds to calculate a total average

  1. #1
    VeronicaO
    Guest

    Formatting minutes and seconds to calculate a total average

    Please help. I am entering minutes and seconds...i.e. 34:10 into a
    worksheet to be charted. One column is number of calls, the other column is
    minutes and seconds. At the bottom of the column I need an AVERAGE of the
    total minutes and seconds. I've tried to format the cells for mm:ss but it
    seems to convert the time to hh;mm;ss? Any suggestions.....Please help I'm
    going crazy trying to figure this out.

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Formatting minutes and seconds to calculate a total average

    Try formatting as 'Custom'
    [hh]:mm:ss
    Enter the time elapsed as 15:30 or 68:25 etc,
    Regards,
    Alan.
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Formatting minutes and seconds to calculate a total average

    Hi

    Excel interprets your entries as "hh:mm"

    Enter a number 60 into some free cell and copy it. Select the range with
    your time values, and then PasteSpacial>Divide. Format the range as "mm:ss".
    Delete the number 60 entred at start (to avoid confusion). When entering
    further times, enter them as "0:mm:ss".

    Arvi Laanemets

  4. #4
    JR
    Guest

    RE: Formatting minutes and seconds to calculate a total average

    With the format that have, enter the times like this...
    0:15:09
    15 minutes and 9 seconds... it will appear like this 15:09

  5. #5
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Formatting minutes and seconds to calculate a total average

    Thats wrong, please ignore,
    Apologies,
    Alan.
    news:[email protected]...