How do I convert word data (not in tables) into excel format?

  1. #1
    resret29
    Guest

    How do I convert word data (not in tables) into excel format?

    I have MS Word/Excel 2003 and a 250 page document extracted from a
    proprietary software system with numerous fields. Unforunately, when I open
    it in Word or Excel, I don't get tables or headings. I need to be able to
    sort it with about 20 different headings. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Jezebel
    Guest

    Re: How do I convert word data (not in tables) into excel format?

    Somewhere along the line, you need to structure the file to turn it into
    data. If the 'numerous fields' are delimited by a specific character you can
    use Excel's import wizard. Otherwise, you'll probably need to spend some
    time with the document in Word, using Find and Replace to impose a structure
    on the file, so Excel's import wizard can interpret it correctly.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How do I convert word data (not in tables) into excel format?

    Way too little information. Do you know about Data, Text to Columns.
    Can you input your file into general application of any kind and see your
    tables.

    If you look at your data with a fixed font does it line up in columns.
    Are there separators like comma, semi-colon, square bullets (unprintable char)
    between fields (columns). You can use CODE Worksheet Function to
    find the ASCII code number for a single character which you would need to
    find out if there is a consistent use of an unprintable character.-
    ---
    HTH,