How do I get price calculations to always end in 9?

  1. #1
    Mr. Knobb
    Guest

    How do I get price calculations to always end in 9?

    I'm calculating retail prices at various gross profit percentages. I do this
    by dividing the cost by the reciprocal of the desired GP%. I want the
    results to always round up to the nearest 9, e.g. $3.29, 5.49, 2.99, etc.
    How's this done?

  2. #2
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    RE: How do I get price calculations to always end in 9?

    Although common this can get a little complicated.
    if you are sure that 2.00 = 2.09 then
    for value in A1 put this formula where you want the answer
    extra brackets for clarity....INT returns the integer

    =(INT((10*A1)+1))/10)-.01

  3. #3
    Mr. Knobb
    Guest

    RE: How do I get price calculations to always end in 9?

    Thanks for replying/posting. That solution is close, but I need $4.37 to
    round up to 4.39, not 4.99 as this formula does.

  4. #4
    Mr. Knobb
    Guest

    RE: How do I get price calculations to always end in 9?

    I think I got it!
    Thanks!

  5. #5

    Mr. Knobb wrote:
    > I'm calculating retail prices at various gross profit
    > percentages. [...] I want the results to always round
    > up to the nearest 9, e.g. $3.29, 5.49, 2.99, etc.
    > How's this done?

    And later:
    > I think I got it! Thanks!

    I'm glad you found your solution. Now, could you please
    explain why you -- and other retailers -- like prices
    that end in 9, especially 9 cents as you asked for.

    I'm just curious. It seems to be a pervasive trait.

  6. #6
    Mr. Knobb
    Guest

    Re: How do I get price calculations to always end in 9?

    I don't know the science, but there must be some. The practice is commonly
    referred to as 'psychological pricing'. We're a very small hotel gift shop
    retailer . That style of pricing is so common, I think it's expected. And
    our prices are high, so it might help ease the pain a little...