Adjustable Scroll Stop in Excel

  1. #1
    Dr. Nonverbal
    Guest

    Adjustable Scroll Stop in Excel

    I use Excel on a daily basis. One of the biggest gripes I have is that when
    I'm dragging a forumula from one row to another is that I almost invariably
    over-shoot where I want to go. I then have to drag the forumula back up, and
    often end back up at the top of the document. I end up wasting a few seconds
    going back and forth getting it adjusted.

    My suggestion is to implement an adjustable scroll stop. The user could
    click at on a row, activate the scroll stop either with a mouse click or from
    a menu selection, and Excel would recognize that row as the end of the
    document and prevent scrolling beyond that point.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...heet.functions

  2. #2
    ancharwashere
    Guest

    RE: Adjustable Scroll Stop in Excel

    I totally agree with the problem, this gets me every now and then too and
    drives me nuts. I had another solution though. I would like to control the
    speed better. Right now it sometimes feels that if I just move my cursor 1
    pixel the speed goes from 5 lines per second to a hundred.

    My solution might sound a bit counter intuitive but I think it would feel
    natural almost immediately. When dragging, e.g. down, the moment the cursor
    goes outside the worksheet you don't drag further down but left or right.
    Since there is more space either left or right there is more room to control
    the speed. When you dip back into the worksheet the scrolling stops.

    The downside to this is that selecting a block that is both very high AND
    wide takes twice as long now because you have to do the scrolling part twice
    e.g. first vertical and then horizontal. But I think that dragging is far
    more performed on just one or a few rows or columns, at least in my work.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Hi Dr,
    The little window at the top left of your Worksheet where the cell address is.
    If you click your mouse there and put in the new cell address you want to go to,
    then press Enter. (IE: A63) You will jump to that cell.

    If you have a formula you want to copy (drag) down. With your curser in the cell where your
    formula is, "copy" it. Then click in the little window and put in the range you want (IE A4:A63),
    press enter. That range will highlight. then "paste" and you have filled the range with your formula.

    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nonverbal