Vlookup with multiple criteria

  1. #1
    nick
    Guest

    Vlookup with multiple criteria

    Hi,

    I have a huge file with 10,000 records with like +25 rows and some of the
    jobs are repeated several times. Using the Job as the reference in vlookup i
    am trying to populate the data in a different worksheet, but vlookup just
    takes the list row information of a perticular job but i want it to take the
    data from all the lines for that job. EX:
    Jim Dell
    Jeff HP
    Carl Compaq
    Jim Toshiba
    Carl Sony
    Jim Lenovo
    Jeff IBM

    I want the data to populated in this way:
    Jim dell
    Jim toshiba
    Jim lenovo
    but its populating like:

    Jim dell
    Jim dell
    Jim dell

    Can someone help me on this? i found some formulas but those are for
    relatively small data, but how wld i do it with such a huge data?

  2. #2
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup with multiple criteria

    On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:48:07 -0700, "nick"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a huge file with 10,000 records with like +25 rows and some of the
    >jobs are repeated several times. Using the Job as the reference in vlookup i
    >am trying to populate the data in a different worksheet, but vlookup just
    >takes the list row information of a perticular job but i want it to take the
    >data from all the lines for that job. EX:
    >Jim Dell
    >Jeff HP
    >Carl Compaq
    >Jim Toshiba
    >Carl Sony
    >Jim Lenovo
    >Jeff IBM
    >
    >I want the data to populated in this way:
    >Jim dell
    >Jim toshiba
    >Jim lenovo
    > but its populating like:
    >
    >Jim dell
    >Jim dell
    >Jim dell
    >
    >Can someone help me on this? i found some formulas but those are for
    >relatively small data, but how wld i do it with such a huge data?

    Vlookup will only return one value.

    Do you need a formula at all? Can't you simply Auto Filter the data in
    place on the Job number column, and then filter again on the Name
    column? Selecting "Jim" will filter out all Jim's equipment.

    Depending what you want to do you could also use Advanced Filter to
    copy the filtered records somewhere else.

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  3. #3
    nick
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup with multiple criteria

    Hi,

    I have like 3000 job #'s...i cant filter each n every job number out. i need
    a quicker way to do that. I thought vlookup would help but not when it have
    repeated job numbers.

  4. #4
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup with multiple criteria

    Hi,

    Are you trying to extract a multi record subset of the main data set?
    If so Vlookup is not your answer, it only returns one value.

    My approach to similar tasks like this is to use a simple VBA looping
    macro, which a) extracts a unique list of jobs, b) job by job filters
    the records out, c) copies them somewhere, either a new sheet or new
    workbook, and then d) moves on to the next job.

    Obviously this is not an Excel function, but if you want to consider
    this, post back and I'll suggest some code.

    Rgds

    On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:59:03 -0700, "nick"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have like 3000 job #'s...i cant filter each n every job number out. i need
    >a quicker way to do that. I thought vlookup would help but not when it have
    >repeated job numbers.
    >
    >"Richard Buttrey" wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:48:07 -0700, "nick"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >I have a huge file with 10,000 records with like +25 rows and some of the
    >> >jobs are repeated several times. Using the Job as the reference in vlookup i
    >> >am trying to populate the data in a different worksheet, but vlookup just
    >> >takes the list row information of a perticular job but i want it to take the
    >> >data from all the lines for that job. EX:
    >> >Jim Dell
    >> >Jeff HP
    >> >Carl Compaq
    >> >Jim Toshiba
    >> >Carl Sony
    >> >Jim Lenovo
    >> >Jeff IBM
    >> >
    >> >I want the data to populated in this way:
    >> >Jim dell
    >> >Jim toshiba
    >> >Jim lenovo
    >> > but its populating like:
    >> >
    >> >Jim dell
    >> >Jim dell
    >> >Jim dell
    >> >
    >> >Can someone help me on this? i found some formulas but those are for
    >> >relatively small data, but how wld i do it with such a huge data?

    >> Vlookup will only return one value.
    >>
    >> Do you need a formula at all? Can't you simply Auto Filter the data in
    >> place on the Job number column, and then filter again on the Name
    >> column? Selecting "Jim" will filter out all Jim's equipment.
    >>
    >> Depending what you want to do you could also use Advanced Filter to
    >> copy the filtered records somewhere else.
    >>
    >> __
    >> Richard Buttrey
    >> Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    >> __________________________

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  5. #5
    nick
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup with multiple criteria

    Hi
    Thanks for your offer. i am not that good with VBA, but if you could help me
    i would really appreciate it. Basically what i am trying to do is, i have a
    huge main file with 10,000 Job numbers with data associated to it. But i have
    some selected 3000-4000 jobs that i am trying to populate the data for, from
    that huge main file. but the problem is some jobs are repated as i mentioned
    before with different data but the same job #. I hope this explained the
    process clearly.

  6. #6
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup with multiple criteria

    Hi,

    Try this array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

    =IF(ISERROR(INDEX($A$1:$B$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$7=$A$10,ROW($A$1:$A$7)),ROW(1:1)),2)),"",INDEX($A$1:$B$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$7=$A$10,ROW($A$1:$A$7)),ROW(1:1)),2))

    $A$10 contains Jim. Now copy the formula down

    A1:A7 would contain names. B2:B7 would contain company names (Dell, HP
    etc.)

    Hope this helps

    Regards,

    Ashish Mathur

  7. #7
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup with multiple criteria

    On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:28:01 -0700, "nick"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi
    >Thanks for your offer. i am not that good with VBA, but if you could help me
    >i would really appreciate it. Basically what i am trying to do is, i have a
    >huge main file with 10,000 Job numbers with data associated to it. But i have
    >some selected 3000-4000 jobs that i am trying to populate the data for, from
    >that huge main file. but the problem is some jobs are repated as i mentioned
    >before with different data but the same job #. I hope this explained the
    >process clearly.

    Just seen Ashish's reply. If this meets your requirement excellent. If
    not let me know and I'll suggest a VBA option.

    Rgds
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  8. #8
    nick
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup with multiple criteria

    Hi Mathur,

    If you dont mind can u explain the syntax that u used, cuz i need to use the
    same syntax that u used with data taken from 2 different workbooks.

  9. #9
    nick
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup with multiple criteria

    Hi Richard,

    Can you plz explain the syntax that ashish used? Thanks