Dynamic range for Table_array in a VLOOKUP.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    DaveO
    Guest

    Dynamic range for Table_array in a VLOOKUP.

    A vlookup is simple in it's capabilities, but I want to get clever.

    I'm looking up a value from another workbook. Simple enough in itself, but
    heres the thing.

    I'd like to write a dynamic vlookup that checks the value of another cell to
    find the table array for it to look up from.

    Basically I have a table of data, the column headers are dates. I have a
    report that is run daily that I need to look up from. Rather than implicitly
    referencing each sheet I'd like to tell the vlookup to check the date in the
    column header and use that for the sheet. The range inside of the sheets is
    always the same.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    TIA.

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic range for Table_array in a VLOOKUP.

    try something like
    =vlookup(lookup value,offset(indirect(A10),0,0,height,width), col)
    where A10 would contain the sheetname and cell reference for the upper left
    cell in the lookuprange ie
    'Sheet 10'!A24

  3. #3
    DaveO
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic range for Table_array in a VLOOKUP.

    It's in another Workbook entirely. It's getting the other workbook name being
    dynamic that I'm having the problems with.#

    TIA.

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic range for Table_array in a VLOOKUP.

    Try something like this:

    =VLOOKUP(A2,INDIRECT("'"&A11&"'!$A$2:$M$7"),7,0)

    Where you enter the sheet name in A11.

    Remember, that a sheet name is *not* a date, so the value in A11 *must* be a
    text value (2-1-2005).
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    DaveO
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic range for Table_array in a VLOOKUP.

    Thanks for the help.

    I've done what you said, but the INDIRECT function is coming back as
    'Volatile' whatever that means and does not work.

    Attached is what I'm trying to do in the formula for reference to see if it
    helps....

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP($A$1,INDIRECT("'" & D83 &"]tblFinal Productivity
    Report'!$1:$65536",TRUE),2,FALSE)),0,VLOOKUP($A$1,INDIRECT("'" & D83
    &"]tblFinal Productivity Report'!$1:$65536",TRUE),2,FALSE))

    Cell D83 contains this ...

    {PATH}\[031005.xls

    Where {PATH} is the netowrk path of the folder that contains the sheet
    031005.xls

    Anymore help would be gratefully received.

    TIA.

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic range for Table_array in a VLOOKUP.

    When using Indirect(), the WBs must be open!

    Also, I don't quite follow the use of the square bracket ( ] ).

    Will this be used when all WBs are open?

    RD
    -------------------

  7. #7
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Dynamic range for Table_array in a VLOOKUP.

    the simplest way to get the format for the other workbook is to enter "=" and
    go to the other workbook and click on the cell you want to use as the start
    of your lookup table.
    hit enter and go back to the cell and delete the "=" . this should not be
    in the format which would be recognised by the indirect() function.