function:Date Count

  1. #1
    shoulders
    Guest

    function:Date Count

    Please help, I know this is probably a really quite simple function but
    i have been puzzling over this for couple of hours now.

    I am trying to work out the formula that will provide the number of
    days between two different dates for example 10/01/2005 - 10/13/2005 =
    ## days (american date format). If anyone could provide assistance that
    would be great and save me a lot of hassle.

    Thanks

    Shoulders

    --
    shoulders

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Shoulders,

    Set a formula to subtract the dates as if they were numbers =A2-A1 for instance. The Date Time setup in your control panel will have to be set to the US format so the computer understands that there are not 13 months in the year. Once you're done that the format of the cell that contains the answer will have to be formatted to number (not days else it won't count over 30 days)

    Regards

  3. #3
    Stefi
    Guest

    re: function:Date Count

    Assuming date1 in cell A1 < date2 in cell A2

    the difference in A3: =A2-A1
    then format A3 as General

    Stefi

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    re: function:Date Count

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:12:25 +0100, shoulders
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Please help, I know this is probably a really quite simple function but
    >i have been puzzling over this for couple of hours now.
    >
    >I am trying to work out the formula that will provide the number of
    >days between two different dates for example 10/01/2005 - 10/13/2005 =
    >## days (american date format). If anyone could provide assistance that
    >would be great and save me a lot of hassle.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Shoulders

    If your first date is in A1; and your later date is in A2, then the formula is:

    =A2-A1 (format as General or Number)

    Excel stores dates as serial numbers starting with 1/1/1900. So to get the
    number of days between dates, you merely need to subtract one from the other.

    --ron

  5. #5
    Lenny
    Guest

    re: function:Date Count

    DATEDIF (StartDate,EndDate,"D"). The third argument of the function "D"
    returns the number of Days between StartDate and EndDate.

    =DATEDIF(A2,A3,"D")

    other options "y" Year, "m" Month

    Lenny