Spliting the contents of a cell to other cells

  1. #1
    Lime
    Guest

    Spliting the contents of a cell to other cells

    Hello,
    I have a formula/function question. Say I have a cell, For this question
    I'll Call it Cell A1 and in that cell the is a list of product numbers
    312.00/ 541.0, 541-100\ the only common separator is a space between each
    number, and the numbers range between 4 and seven digits. Is the a formula of
    function that would separate the product number into three different columns?

    Thanks,
    Lime

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    On the main menu, click Data>Text to Columns, choose Delimited, click Next, choose 'Space' and click Finish.

    Your data should now be three columns.

    Good Luck
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Spliting the contents of a cell to other cells

    check out <Data><Text to columns>

  4. #4
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Spliting the contents of a cell to other cells

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:39:06 -0700, "Lime"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have a formula/function question. Say I have a cell, For this question
    >I'll Call it Cell A1 and in that cell the is a list of product numbers
    >312.00/ 541.0, 541-100\ the only common separator is a space between each
    >number, and the numbers range between 4 and seven digits. Is the a formula of
    >function that would separate the product number into three different columns?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Lime

    The following splits the 23 character A1 cell into 8, 7 & 8 characters
    in B1:D1.

    B1 = =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1))

    C1= =LEFT(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1)),FIND("
    ",RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))))

    D1= =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,LEN(B1)+LEN(C1)))

    This includes the comma in the middle which you may want to avoid. In
    which case change C1 to:
    =LEFT(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1)),FIND(" ",RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("
    ",A1)-2)))

    HTH

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  5. #5
    Lime
    Guest

    Re: Spliting the contents of a cell to other cells

    Thank you very much guys, you've been very helpful as usal,.

    Thanks,
    Lime

  6. #6
    Lime
    Guest

    Re: Spliting the contents of a cell to other cells

    This does not work when you have mulitpal rows containg numers with different
    lenths

  7. #7
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    As long as each has a SPACE between them, Text To Columns WILL work. Follow these instructions:

    Select the range of data
    On the main menu, click Data>Text to Columns...
    In the box that opens, make sure "Delimited" is selected as "Original data type"
    Click Next>
    In the Delimiters section, Uncheck all EXCEPT "Space" (if you want to eliminate the commas or slash, you can list those as well (you can have only one 'other' delimiter-you could rerun TTC to eliminate the backslash))
    Click Next>
    Verify the Destination meets your needs
    Click Finish

    Regardless of the number of characters between spaces, each space will begin a new column.

    Good Luck