Keep formula from changing?

  1. #1
    Fred Holmes
    Guest

    Keep formula from changing?

    Excel 2000

    Excel is "too smart"!

    I have a worksheet that is a simple check register. In the column
    that calculates the checkbook balance, the formula, in R1C1 notation,
    is:

    =+R[-1]C-RC[-2]+RC[-1]

    R[-1]C is the balance from the row above.

    C[-1] contains credits/deposits.

    C[2-] contains debits/checks

    All very simple and works well.

    On occasion I want to insert a row(s), generally by cut/pasting the
    data in the credits and debits colums (and corresponding columns such
    as "payee") to a lower (greater #) row. I'd like to be able to do
    this without having the forumulae in the balance column (as above)
    chage at all, never, no way. But Excel is too smart and changes the
    formulae. There is some change, whether the formula is "relative
    reference" or "absolute reference". The formula chages whether the
    cell address notation is RC or A1.

    On rarer occasions I want to delete a row, by moving the data up.

    Any way to do this?

    Current solution is simply to data, fill (drag the fill handle) the
    formula in the balance column all over again.

    Thanks,

    Fred Holmes

  2. #2
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Keep formula from changing?

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:16:27 -0400, Fred Holmes <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Excel 2000
    >
    >Excel is "too smart"!
    >
    >I have a worksheet that is a simple check register. In the column
    >that calculates the checkbook balance, the formula, in R1C1 notation,
    >is:
    >
    >=+R[-1]C-RC[-2]+RC[-1]
    >
    >R[-1]C is the balance from the row above.
    >
    >C[-1] contains credits/deposits.
    >
    >C[2-] contains debits/checks
    >
    >All very simple and works well.
    >
    >On occasion I want to insert a row(s), generally by cut/pasting the
    >data in the credits and debits colums (and corresponding columns such
    >as "payee") to a lower (greater #) row. I'd like to be able to do
    >this without having the forumulae in the balance column (as above)
    >chage at all, never, no way. But Excel is too smart and changes the
    >formulae. There is some change, whether the formula is "relative
    >reference" or "absolute reference". The formula chages whether the
    >cell address notation is RC or A1.
    >
    >On rarer occasions I want to delete a row, by moving the data up.
    >
    >Any way to do this?
    >
    >Current solution is simply to data, fill (drag the fill handle) the
    >formula in the balance column all over again.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Fred Holmes

    Assuming data is as follows. I've reverted to A1 reference because I
    don't understand RC references :-)

    A1 Debits, B1 Credits, C1 Balance and numerical data starts in A3.

    Add a helper column D.
    C3=
    =IF(D3<>D2,INDIRECT("C"&(ROW()-D3-1)),INDIRECT("C"&(ROW()-1)))-INDIRECT("A"&ROW())+INDIRECT("B"&ROW())

    D3 =
    =ROW()-ROW(D$3)-COUNTA(A$3:A3)+1

    Copy down as appropriate.

    Now you can cut and paste and delete rows whilst maintaining the
    correct balance.

    HTH
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK

  3. #3
    Fred Holmes
    Guest

    Re: Keep formula from changing?

    Looks like a winner. I'll have to figure out what this INDIRECT()
    function is all about.

    Thanks,

    Fred Holmes