Vlookup Help needed ASAP

  1. #1
    Vladimir
    Guest

    Vlookup Help needed ASAP

    I am having trouble looking up the Text (String) in the list the contains the
    same text (string)
    For example, one list contains "Sam Smith", and the other list contains "Sam
    Smith", but Vlookup() returns #N/A.

    Please help!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup Help needed ASAP

    Probably an extra space somewhere, check one cell for each with =LEN(cell)
    replace cell with one Sam Smith cell reference then do it with one form the
    other list,
    if no extra spaces it should return 9 in both cases, if you have more in one
    case
    wrap the range in TRIM like

    =VLOOKUP(A2,TRIM(Sheet2!A2:C100),2,FALSE)

    entered with ctrl + shift & enter

    or

    =VLOOKUP(TRIM(A2),Sheet2!A2:C100,2,FALSE)

    entered normally

    you might want to install this macro

    that will remove trailing html characters as well

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup Help needed ASAP

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 19:11:03 -0700, "Vladimir"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am having trouble looking up the Text (String) in the list the contains the
    >same text (string)
    >For example, one list contains "Sam Smith", and the other list contains "Sam
    >Smith", but Vlookup() returns #N/A.
    >
    >Please help!

    Apart from any additional spaces that others have mentioned, is the
    list a multicolumnar list and is "Sam Smith" in the first column?

    Rgds
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  4. #4
    Vladimir
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup Help needed ASAP

    "Vladimir" пишет:

    > I am having trouble looking up the Text (String) in the list the contains the
    > same text (string)
    > For example, one list contains "Sam Smith", and the other list contains "Sam
    > Smith", but Vlookup() returns #N/A.
    >
    > Please help!

    Yes, I have used the Trim() function and yes "Sam Smith" is in first column
    in the list of lookup values. Also, I have changed the formating of both
    columns, i.e. format to text values.
    I don't know what else could be done to find the solution.

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup Help needed ASAP

    Did you use the macro?

  6. #6
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup Help needed ASAP

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 09:48:28 -0700, "Vladimir"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Vladimir" ?????:
    >
    >> I am having trouble looking up the Text (String) in the list the contains the
    >> same text (string)
    >> For example, one list contains "Sam Smith", and the other list contains "Sam
    >> Smith", but Vlookup() returns #N/A.
    >>
    >> Please help!

    >Yes, I have used the Trim() function and yes "Sam Smith" is in first column
    >in the list of lookup values. Also, I have changed the formating of both
    >columns, i.e. format to text values.
    >I don't know what else could be done to find the solution.

    Have you tried copying Sam Smith from your lookup table to the cell
    which you're using for the lookup?

    If that still returns #N/A at least you'll have eliminated a text
    string problem.

    Rgds
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  7. #7
    When using VLOOKUP, you should have the data in the first column sorted (Data, Sort). Try this and it should work. Make sure you select all the table and sort by 1st column. If you don't want to sort the data for other reasons, try using the LOOKUP function rather than the VLOOPKUP.

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup Help needed ASAP

    Only if you use TRUE or 1, not when looking for an exact match

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...