Calculating average scores from multiple sheets' information

  1. #1

    Calculating average scores from multiple sheets' information

    I'd like to create a sheet that shows average scores for each individual with scores in other worksheets. This 'averages' sheet is in sorted name sequence, as are all of the score sheets.

    1. Using the name of the individual on the 'Averages' sheet, I'd like to find all scores in one specific column across all other scoring sheets.
    2. Also, if a sheet contains no score (blank or zero) for that individual, then don't factor that into the average. Using just this AVERAGE function below, returns an invalid average if an individual has only 2 out of 3 scores:

    =AVERAGE(Week03:D4Week01!D6)

    I'm thinking I need to use a VLOOKUP function (SUM also???), but haven't had much success getting past the invalid syntax message when attempting to nest the function.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Calculating average scores from multiple sheets' information

    If you use blanks as opposed to zero this should work

    =AVERAGE(Week01:Week03!D4:D6)

    obviously it will give another answer if any of the cells are zero
    however average disregards blank cells

    there are ways of using conditions like >0
    but a good rule of thumb
    is to design the workbook so you can use the most simple
    formulas since they are both faster and easier to audit

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3