Array

  1. #1
    Brad
    Guest

    Array

    Thanks for taking the time to read my quesiton.

    I typed in the word array into Excel Help and found this item

    "About array formulas and how to enter them"

    I am trying to duplicate the first example and cannot

    Ex: =Average(if(C5:C14="Europe",D5:D14))

    I tried something similar to this (diff cell ref) and I get #VALUE

    Do I need to check off an addin or something?

    Thanks,

    Brad

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Array

    They need to be entered with ctrl + shift & enter
    select the cell with the formula, press F2, press
    ctrl + shift & enter at the same time

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Brad
    Guest

    Re: Array

    Perfect!!!

    Why?

  4. #4
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Array

    "Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Perfect!!!
    >
    > Why?

    Oh, man, did you ever just open a can of worms. Bob Umlas, aka the Excel
    Trickster and undisputed king of array-entered formulas, just had an entire
    book published on that topic. I remember an MVP colloquium in Seattle just
    before Excel 95 was released, and asking other Excel MVPs for a crisp
    definition of when array formulas were needed. No one could supply one.
    (Certainly I couldn't; else I wouldn't have asked.)

    Quite apart from your situation, array formulas are necessary when you're
    working with certain worksheet functions such as LINEST, TRANSPOSE, certain
    matrix algebra functions, and simpler functions such as FREQUENCY. In these
    cases, array-entry is necessitated because the function is intended to
    return an array of results, not just a single number. And in that case you
    have to begin by selecting an array of worksheet cells that conforms to the
    rows-by-columns range that the function will return.

    In the situation you describe, array-entry is needed because you're
    presenting Excel with an array of TRUE or FALSE values that are used to
    determine whether to submit values in another array (D5:D14) to the AVERAGE
    function. Because AVERAGE returns a single value, as distinct from, say,
    LINEST, you're working with a single-cell array formula. Entered normally,
    with just the Enter key, Excel expects to see a single condition following
    the IF function [e.g., IF(C5="Europe",] but your formula submits an array of
    conditions, and using Ctrl-Shift-Enter signals Excel that it needs to
    evaluate an array of conditions, not just one. Using Tools | Formula
    Auditing | Evaluate Formula can provide insight into what's going on. So can
    other particupants in this ng.

    --
    C^2
    Conrad Carlberg

    Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

  5. #5
    Brad
    Guest

    Re: Array

    Thanks Conrad,

    So basically the {} denote an array is being used in the formula and Excel
    needs to treat it differently.

    Brad

  6. #6
    damorrison
    Guest

    Re: Array

    Thanks alot for those can of worms! Peo!

  7. #7
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Array

    Basically, that's correct, although it's frequently true that the array is
    one that must be evaluated to a set of TRUE/FALSE conditions before the
    surrounding function can return a result. But not always. Here's one that
    isolates the final part of a string that contains embedded blanks (I think
    it's from the Bob Umlas Formula Boutique):

    =RIGHT(A1,MATCH(" ",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1),0))

    So if A1 contains Charles Evans Hughes, the array formula would return
    Hughes.

  8. #8
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Array

    Conrad Carlberg wrote...
    >Oh, man, did you ever just open a can of worms. Bob Umlas, aka the Excel
    >Trickster and undisputed king of array-entered formulas, just had an entire
    >book published on that topic. I remember an MVP colloquium in Seattle just
    >before Excel 95 was released, and asking other Excel MVPs for a crisp
    >definition of when array formulas were needed. No one could supply one.
    >(Certainly I couldn't; else I wouldn't have asked.)

    A complete answer requires full details in each argument for each
    built-in function, but certain subsets are known. The following refer
    to single function calls. In real formulas with multiple function
    calls, if one of those functions requires array entry, the entire
    formula requires array entry.

    Formulas with only arithmetic or string operators, scalar-valued terms
    and array constants don't require array entry, but they'd only return
    the top-left entry of the array result.

    Functions don't require array entry when using array constants but
    neither derived arrays not multiple cell ranges, e.g.,
    =SUM({1,2}*{10;100}) returns 330 while =SUM(A1:B1*A2:A3) returns
    #VALUE! entered normally and 330 entered as an array formula when A1:B1
    = {1,2} and A2:A3 = {10;100}.

    LINEST, LOGEST and FREQUENCY, don't require array entry per se.
    MINVERSE and TRANSPOSE require array entry except when all their
    arguments are array constants. MMULT requires array entry except when
    both its arguments are array constants *OR* when its result is a
    scalar, e.g., with A1:B1 and A2:A3 as above, =MMULT(A1:B1,A2:A3)
    returns 210 entered normally. However, you'll only get the top-left
    entry from the array results returned by these functions unless they're
    entered as multiple cell array formulas.

    ROW and COLUMN *always* return arrays, even when their arguments are
    explicit or default references to single cells, and don't on their own
    require array entry. Same 'however' as the last paragraph.

    A few built-in functions expect array arguments and don't require array
    entry, e.g., SUMPRODUCT, LOOKUP, SUMX2MY2, SUMXMY2.

    Aggregation functions, e.g., SUM, COUNT, AVERAGE, require array entry
    only when some arguments are derived arrays. All other functions
    require array entry when some arguments are derived arrays or single
    area multiple cell ranges (which evaluate to arrays).

    The type testing functions, e.g., ISNUMBER, ISBLANK, ISERROR, don't
    require array entry. Same 'however' as previously.

    I'm intentionally remaining silent on the functions that return range
    references, INDEX, INDIRECT and OFFSET, or have specific arguments that
    must be (or are supposed to be) range references, N, T, CELL, SUMIF and
    COUNTIF. Their semantics are so screwy that they'd need treatises on
    how the type of each argument affects them. Also, the former set of
    functions can produce return values that work like arrays of range
    references, and the latter set are the only functions that can use such
    results.

    I'm also remaining silen on the list processing functions, e.g., DSUM,
    DCOUNT, because I never use them, so I don't care how they behave.

    There are exceptions to these rules, but you'll have to work to find
    them.

    >Quite apart from your situation, array formulas are necessary when you're
    >working with certain worksheet functions such as LINEST, TRANSPOSE, certain
    >matrix algebra functions, and simpler functions such as FREQUENCY. . . .

    Not entirely correct. See above. Also, e.g.,

    =SUMPRODUCT(TRANSPOSE({1,2,3}),10^ROW(1:3))

    returns 3210.

  9. #9
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Array

    Hi Harlan,

    I still don't have a "crisp" definition (g), although I haven't before seen
    a listing such as you provide. I doubt that a crisp definition exists.

    I would quibble with

    >LINEST, LOGEST and FREQUENCY, don't require array entry per se.

    Formally and syntactically, that's true, but as a practical matter array
    entry is required -- how many times have we seen users in the ngs frustrated
    because they couldn't seem to get the full results promised by the
    documentation? As you subsequently point out,

  10. #10
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Array

    Conrad Carlberg wrote...
    >Hi Harlan,
    >
    >I still don't have a "crisp" definition (g), although I haven't before seen
    >a listing such as you provide. I doubt that a crisp definition exists.
    >
    >I would quibble with
    >
    >>LINEST, LOGEST and FREQUENCY, don't require array entry per se.

    >Formally and syntactically, that's true, but as a practical matter array
    >entry is required -- how many times have we seen users in the ngs frustrated
    >because they couldn't seem to get the full results promised by the
    >documentation? As you subsequently point out,

    Failure to read the full documentation on array formulas is whose
    fault? Microsoft's, which includes the following text in online help
    for MMULT:

    "Note The formula in the example must be entered as an array formula.
    After copying the example to a blank worksheet, select the range A8:B9
    starting with the formula cell. Press F2, and then press
    CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. If the formula is not entered as an array formula,
    the single result is 2."

    Or, just perhaps, the users?

    As they say in other newsgroups, RTM, and when that doesn't work, RTFM.

    The need for array entry *should* be obvious when an array result is
    expected.

    Finally, there are contexts when LINEST or LOGEST could be used in
    formulas to produce scalar results. If those formulas only require
    SUMPRODUCT or similar functions, then the entire formula may not
    require array entry.