lookup

  1. #1
    Jim
    Guest

    lookup

    Hello and Thanks for the help.

    I have three sheets I am working with.

    Sheet one has the store name and number listed (reference link from sheet 2)
    and a place to hold the answer that one of you Excel Yoda’s provide.

    Sheet two shows the store name and store number is two columns. For
    example: StoreA appears in a1 and its store number (#1) appears in b1.

    Sheet three has the data that I am dumping into the workbook. The data of
    interest is the store number (column G) and the prompt number (column J).
    The prompt number is the number that a caller calls to prompt for sales or
    service (1 for sale, two for service).

    What I would like is a formula that refers to the store name and number I
    have on sheet one, then counts the prompts (1 for sale, 2 for service) by
    store number on sheet three.

    Just counting the one or two if it matches by store name.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: lookup

    Assuming that you want to count in a record when prompt is either 1 or 2..

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(StoreNameRange=StoreName),--(StoreNumberRange=StoreNumber),--ISNUMBER(MATCH(PromptRange,{1,2},0)))

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: lookup

    Make that:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(StoreNumberRange=StoreNumber),--ISNUMBER(MATCH(PromptRange,{1,2},0)))

    --

    [1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
    their Excel numeric equivalents.

  4. #4

    Vlookup

    It sound like you simply need to use the VLOOKUP function. The proper syntax is
    VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup). Where

    lookup_value = The value to be looked up in the first column of the lookup table
    table_array = The range that contains the lookup table
    col_index_num = The column number within the table from which the matching value is returned

    For example if I had a table in worsheet 3 with the store name in column G and the store number in column H your formula would look something like this

    VLOOKUP(store name,table location and range, 8,false)
    or
    VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet3!A1:J100,8,false)
    this would return the value in column H or the 8th column in sheet 3 that has a name match for the value in cell A2.

    I hope this helps. I have included a very basic idea of how to use this function.

    [QUOTE] / Sheet one has the store name and number listed (reference link from sheet 2)
    and a place to hold the answer that one of you Excel Yoda’s provide.

    Sheet two shows the store name and store number is two columns. For
    example: StoreA appears in a1 and its store number (#1) appears in b1.

    Sheet three has the data that I am dumping into the workbook. The data of
    interest is the store number (column G) and the prompt number (column J).
    The prompt number is the number that a caller calls to prompt for sales or
    service (1 for sale, two for service).

    What I would like is a formula that refers to the store name and number I
    have on sheet one, then counts the prompts (1 for sale, 2 for service) by
    store number on sheet three.

    Just counting the one or two if it matches by store name.
    Attached Files Attached Files