conditional counting with Excel

  1. #1

    conditional counting with Excel

    I;m new here and need help with something.

    We are counting chemical compounds and need a way to count two columns. One column tells the group it originated.Another says yes or no if it has been ordered.

    I am using COUNTIF to count particular groups in both of those columns. For example, COUNTIF counts the number of yes to tell us which unique compound has been analyzed. Theother may have the compound group and we use COUNTIF for the groups if it stands alone or not by ( for example) "*amino*".

    What we want is everywhere a NO is changed to YEs in a row where *Amino* is located, we want it to increase the count of amino in our list. I;m lost on this and hope someone can help. Doing this helps to make keeping a count easy rather than going in periodically and physically counting the "Amino" and each row that has a yes.

    thanks for your help

  2. #2
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: conditional counting with Excel

    Are you looking for...

    =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(X2,CompoundRange)))

    where X2 houses the string condition of amino?