excel array formula

  1. #1
    gordo
    Guest

    excel array formula

    wonder if someone can help me.
    I have a list in excel that contains the same sku more than once on a
    workbook in no paticular order, however i want to bring back the last
    time that this sku appeared on the workbook for example:

    SKU 271562 date counted 11 september
    SKU 275555 date counted 12 september
    SKU 271562 date counted 12 september
    sku 255212 date counted 13 september
    & so on
    SKU 271562 date counted 11 october

    The date range is only applicable to the date counted therefore i
    cannot search via a date

    Can someone please help

    Rgds

    Gordon

    2. vezerid Oct 13, 7:09 pm show options

    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
    From: "vezerid" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
    Date: 13 Oct 2005 11:09:27 -0700
    Subject: Re: Excel help
    original | Report Abuse

    Gordon,
    If I have understood correctly:
    1. Each line in your sample occupies a single cell.
    2. All lines are of the format: SKU xxxxxx date counted dd mmmm
    Therefore, the number of characters until the date starts is fixed. So
    is the length of every SKU code. With these assumptions, and assuming
    data are in column A:A, you will use some auxiliary columns

    B1: =left(A1, 10) -- this extracts the SKU
    C1: =value(mid(A1, 24, 20)) -- this extracts the date in number format.

    You can format column C:C to a date format if you want.

    Now, given an SKU in a cell, say K1 contains "SKU 271562":
    =max(C1:C100*if(B1:B100=K1, 1, 0))

    Supply the necessary ranges in the formula and enter it as an array
    formula, Shift+Ctrl+Enter.

    HTH
    Kostis Vezerides

    3. gordo Oct 15, 5:14 pm show options

    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
    From: "gordo" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this
    author
    Date: 15 Oct 2005 09:14:45 -0700
    original | Remove | Report Abuse

    thanks mate this worked a treat

    Rgds
    Gordon

    4. gordo Oct 16, 4:34 pm show options

    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
    From: "gordo" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this
    author
    Date: 16 Oct 2005 08:34:39 -0700
    original | Remove | Report Abuse

    hi mate,
    Can you help me again , i need to bring back the total qty and total
    counted.
    Same as above so when the date is brought back i would like the total
    qty and counted qty.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    =MAX(IF(A2:A20="SKU 12752",B2:B20))
    an an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    gordo
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    this didnt work.
    what the problem is the workbook in question can have the same sku
    appearing multiple times.
    I have with the help of someone been able to extract the date the sku
    was last counted,however i am unable to bring back total qty and qty
    counted for the date.
    so for example...

    SKU 277252 qty 20 counted 50 date 3rd october
    I then have a different SKU and another and so on
    the next time i count this sku might be today
    SKU 277252 qty 10 counted 40 date 10th october

    i can bring back the date with an array formuala but am struggling to
    bring back the qty and qty counted ..

    Please help

    Rgds

    Gordon

  4. #4
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    Are you trying to determine the last occurrence of a SKU in a range,
    irrespective of the date it is associated with?

    gordo wrote:
> [...]
    > Date: 15 Oct 2005 09:14:45 -0700
    > Subject: Re: Excel help
    > Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
    > original | Remove | Report Abuse
    >
    > thanks mate this worked a treat
    >

    > Rgds
    > Gordon

    > 4. gordo Oct 16, 4:34 pm show options
    >
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
    > From: "gordo" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this
    > author
    > Date: 16 Oct 2005 08:34:39 -0700
    > Subject: Re: Excel help
    > Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
    > original | Remove | Report Abuse
    >
    > hi mate,
    > Can you help me again , i need to bring back the total qty and total
    > counted.
    > Same as above so when the date is brought back i would like the total

    [1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
    their Excel numeric equivalents.
    [2] The lookup functions should have an optional argument for the return
    value, defaulting to #N/A in its absence.

  5. #5
    gordo
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    THE SAME SKU CAN APPEAR MULTIPLE TIMES ON THE SPREADSHEET.i HAVE WITH
    SOMEONES HELP BEEN ABLE TO DETERMINE THE LAST TIME IT WAS COUNTED.
    HOWEVER I WANT TO BRING BACK THE QTY AND QTY COUNTED AS WELL.
    FOR EXAMPLE:

    SKU 276262 QTY 10 QTY COUNTED 12 DATE 5TH DEC
    THEN ANOTHER SKU
    AND ANOTHER
    THEN THE SKU RE-APPEARS WITH DIFFERENT QTY AND DATE

    I WANT TO BRING BACK THE QTY AND QTY COUNTED THE LAST TIME IT WAS
    COUNTED

    RGDS

    GORDON

  6. #6
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    Gordon,

    There is no need for capitals. Also, why don't you post the formula you
    cooked up with the help someone else. That would help to determine your
    layout and the conditions for the retrieval. I'll venture a guess:

    X2:

    =MATCH(2,1/((SKUrange=SKU)*(QualificationRange="COUNTED")))

    which must be confirmed with control+shift+enter.

    W2:

    =INDEX(DateRange,X2)

    Y2:

    =INDEX(QtyRange,X2)

    Z2:

    =INDEX(CountedQtyRange,X2)

    Is this even close?

  7. #7
    gordo
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    Apologies,
    this is the formula that bring back the date no matter when the sku
    appears
    =max(C1:C100*if(B1:B100=K1, 1, 0))

    C includes the date and B is the SKU.

    i now want to bring back the qty and qty counted

    rgds
    Gordon

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    =SUM((MAX(IF(B1:B100=K1,C1:C100))=C1:C100)*(B1:B100=K1))

    again as an array formula

    RP

  9. #9
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    Assuming that (a) Qty is in D1:D100, (b) Qty Counted in E1:E100, and (c)
    the dates for the same SKU is increasing vith every new occurrence...

    L1:

    Either...

    =MAX(IF(($B$1:$B$100=K1),ROW($B$1:$B$100)-ROW($B$1)+1))

    which must be confirmed with control+shift+enter.

    Or...

    =LOOKUP(2,1/($B$1:$B$100=K1),ROW($B$1:$B$100)-ROW($B$1)+1)

    If (c) does not hold:

    =MATCH(MAX(IF($B$1:$B$100=K1,$C$1:$C$100,"")),IF($B$1:$B$100=K1,$C$1:$C$100),0)

    which must be confirmed with control+shift+enter.

    M1:

    =INDEX($C$1:$C$100,L1)

    yields the associated date.

    N1:

    =INDEX($D$1:$D$100,L1)

    yields the associated quantity.

    =INDEX($E$1:$E$100,L1)

    yields the quantity counted.

    Note that the foregoing setup seeks efficiency. Determine the position
    of the SKU and retrieve the associated values with a simple INDEX
    formula which is fast.

  10. #10
    gordo
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    Sorry mate,
    I am completley lost with the formula's you have suggetsed. would it
    be possible to send you the workbook.

    PLease

  11. #11
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    Gordon,
    if you still have not figured out a way to do this, email me the
    workbook at
    vezerid at act dot edu

    Kostis Vezerides

  12. #12
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    You can email it me if you want.

    RP

  13. #13
    gordo
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    i have sent you both workboooks
    Thanks

    Gordon

  14. #14
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    Haven't received it.

    RP

  15. #15
    gordo
    Guest

    Re: excel array formula

    I have sent the workbook in question to you

    Thanks

    Gordon