calcuate bond yields

  1. #1
    engineer
    Guest

    calcuate bond yields

    I need to calculate bond yields to different dates such a maturity,
    retraction dates etc.

    I work in excel 2003

  2. #2
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: calcuate bond yields

    The YIELDMAT function should do what you want.

    Fred
    Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Herb
    Guest

    Re: calcuate bond yields

    Sounds like what I am looking for too, but it requires the Addin Analysis
    Pack. When I click on that and OK, nothing happens. It doesn't try to
    install the addin, nothing. Any clues? -Herb Mann

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    engineer
    Guest

    Re: calcuate bond yields

    Thanks Fred:

    I'm a little better off except my excel 2003 doesn't have all these addin
    functions. As well the bonds I have pay interest semi-annually not just at
    maturity as per yieldmat

    Regards

  5. #5
    engineer
    Guest

    Re: calcuate bond yields

    I just did it by following this:

    Returns the annual yield of a security that pays interest at maturity.

    If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and
    load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

    How?

    On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.
    In the Add-Ins available list, select the Analysis ToolPak box, and then
    click OK.
    If necessary, follow the instructions in the setup program.

    Regards

    Engineer

  6. #6
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: calcuate bond yields

    As far as I know, all versions of Excel, especially 2003, come with the
    Analysis ToolPak. You just have to install it. Did you try Tools>Addins?

    For bonds which pay regular interest, use the YIELD function, rather than
    YIELDMAT. With YIELD, you can specify the payment frequency (eg, 2 times per
    year).

  7. #7
    engineer
    Guest

    Re: calcuate bond yields

    Hi Fred:

    Yes, I've installed the "pak". Thanks for the tip on the yield function.
    Watch for Bonds to fall in price in 2005 and rise in yield. By when they fall
    below 100!

    Engineer

  8. #8
    analyst
    Guest

    Re: calcuate bond yields

    Hi,

    I am looking for a way to calculate bond yields also. I used the yield and
    yieldmat functions which work fine, except that some of our bonds have coupon
    rate steps before maturity. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    analyst

  9. #9
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: calcuate bond yields

    For this, I would use the XIRR function. Create a table of all the coupon
    payments and dates, then feed this to XIRR.

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...