how to count weeks from date "X" then calculate

  1. #1
    _Bigred
    Guest

    how to count weeks from date "X" then calculate

    I want to create a field(s) in Excel 2003 that will allow me

    to enter a hard (non-changing date) and have it calculate how many weeks
    have eclipsed since that time and then multiply to 40 hrs per week to give a
    total of work hours that have passed since the date

    The Date desired to use is July 1st, 2005 and counting.....

    TIA,
    _Bigred

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: how to count weeks from date "X" then calculate

    Hi!

    Try this:

    A1 = 7/1/2005

    =(TODAY()-A1)/7*40

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 01:06:27 GMT, "_Bigred" <n¢lliott@n¢w.rr.cob> wrote:

    >I want to create a field(s) in Excel 2003 that will allow me
    >
    >to enter a hard (non-changing date) and have it calculate how many weeks
    >have eclipsed since that time and then multiply to 40 hrs per week to give a
    >total of work hours that have passed since the date
    >
    >The Date desired to use is July 1st, 2005 and counting.....
    >
    >TIA,
    >_Bigred

    With your date in A1, something like

    =(TODAY()-A1)/7*40

    Or if you want to count only workdays at 8 hrs/day, you could use the
    NETWORKDAYS function.

    =NETWORKDAYS(A1, TODAY(), holidays) * 8

    See HELP for this function. It requires installation of the Analysis Tool Pak
    and HELP will tell you how to do that.

    --ron

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: how to count weeks from date "X" then calculate

    With July 1, 2005 in A1,
    Try this in a cell formatted to General or Number:

    =DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"d")/7*40

    The base formula returns days, so dividing by 7 will yield full and partial
    weeks.

    If you want to only work with full weeks, adjust it to this:

    =INT(DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"d")/7)*40

    --
    HTH,

    RD

  5. #5
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: how to count weeks from date "X" then calculate

    Doun't you have any state holdays there at all ?

    P.e. I myself have additionally to think about 4 pre-holidays - there are 4
    state holidays, for which when preceeding day is workday, it is 5 hours long
    instead of 8 hours.

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee )

  6. #6
    _Bigred
    Guest

    Re: how to count weeks from date "X" then calculate

    I used the DATEDIF formula below and it works fine. Is there a way I can
    limit it's return.
    Example: It will only calculate the number of hours until a certain date
    (i.e from 7/1/05 thru 6/29/06)

    ??
    TIA,
    _Bigred

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: how to count weeks from date "X" then calculate

    Hi

    =DATEDIF(A1,B1,"d")/7*40
    (with end date in B1). Or
    =DATEDIF(A1,DATE(2006,6,29),"d")/7*40