SumIf Problem

  1. #1
    carl
    Guest

    SumIf Problem

    I have a data table like this:

    DataTable
    AccountID BrokerA BrokerB BrokerC BrokerD
    AccountA 0 0 27 0
    AccountB 0 5 28 0
    AccountB 177 1969 1749 400
    AccountA 0 10 0 0
    AccountB 5 60 0 0
    AccountB 96 623 875 70
    AccountA 0 10 7 0
    AccountB 0 483 102 0
    AccountB 70 180 358 33

    I am trying to create this summary table:

    SummaryTable
    BrokerA BrokerB BrokerC BrokerD
    AccountA 0 20 34 0
    AccountB 348 3320 3112 503

    Where the formula in the table body is looking at the Account a summing up
    all values for each broker.

    I thought I could do it with a formula.

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: SumIf Problem

    Assumptions:

    A1:E10 contains your data

    First row contains your headers/labels

    G2:G3 contain AccountA and AccountB

    H1:K1 contain BrokerA, BrokerB, BrokerC, and BrokerD

    Formula:

    H2, copied across and down:

    =SUMIF($A$2:$A$10,$G2,INDEX($B$2:$E$10,0,MATCH(H$1,$B$1:$E$1,0)))

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: SumIf Problem

    Hi Carl

    One way

    Assuming your data is on Sheet1, and the summary is on Sheet2.
    On Sheet 2 in column A, A2 AccountA, A3 AccountB etc.
    On Sheet 2 in Row 1, B1 BrokerA, C1 BrokerB etc.

    In cell B2
    =SUMPRODUCT(--Sheet1!$A$2:$A$1000=$A2),Sheet1!B$2:B$1000)
    Copy across through C2:E2
    Copy B2:E2 down for as many accounts as you have.

    Change ranges to suit, but take careful not of the "$" signs.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: SumIf Problem

    in the Summary table

    =SUMIF(Data!A:A,A2,Data!B:B)
    then
    =SUMIF(Data!A:A,A2,Data!C:C)
    etc.

    assuming that the data is on a worksheet called Data

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: SumIf Problem

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:50:06 -0700, "carl" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a data table like this:
    >
    >DataTable
    >AccountID BrokerA BrokerB BrokerC BrokerD
    >AccountA 0 0 27 0
    >AccountB 0 5 28 0
    >AccountB 177 1969 1749 400
    >AccountA 0 10 0 0
    >AccountB 5 60 0 0
    >AccountB 96 623 875 70
    >AccountA 0 10 7 0
    >AccountB 0 483 102 0
    >AccountB 70 180 358 33
    >
    >I am trying to create this summary table:
    >
    >SummaryTable
    > BrokerA BrokerB BrokerC BrokerD
    >AccountA 0 20 34 0
    >AccountB 348 3320 3112 503
    >

    >Where the formula in the table body is looking at the Account a summing up
    >all values for each broker.
    >
    >I thought I could do it with a formula.
    >
    >Thank you in advance.

    In addition to what the others have said, you could try a Pivot Table.

    =============================
    AccountID BrokerA BrokerB BrokerC BrokerD
    AccountA 0 20 34 0
    AccountB 348 3320 3112 503

    Drag Account ID to the "COLUMNS" area.
    Drag each individual Broker to the DATA area.

    The initial table will be reversed from what you show, with regard to Columns
    and Rows; but some of the auto-formatting options will display it in the manner
    you have posted..

    The only problem is that a Pivot Table is not dynamic, so needs to be refreshed
    when data is changed. This can be done manually, or by using an
    event-triggered macro.

    --ron